Chapter 7

The month had passed without anything new happening. I wrote out my report and turned it in, and with a guess I decided that I was Kankuro's target.

Low and behold, as I checked my grade, I was correct. To be honest, I could have just bull-shitted my report, because I doubt Nakomi-sensei has every known piece of information about each kid in his class, and if he did, I would have feared for my life. I would have gone rogue at that point.

As we wrapped up the first month of class, we moved onto full chakra control exercises. He first began by having us meditate, feeling out the chakra and our network.

I sat in the soft sand of the desert, feeling the warm rays of the sun on my back. The others around me rustled about, and as we sat in silence, the shuffling of each grain of sand became ten times louder.

I sighed, reaching inside my self as I imagined the swirling ball of chakra in the pit of my stomach. My chakra pulsed throughout my body with each beat of my heart. So, the higher your heart rate the faster chakra travels?

As I felt my chakra, I noticed that it felt much weaker on my right side, and much stronger on my left. On my left it felt choppier. Presumably because of my burns.

I emerged from my meditative state. As I looked around, some kids, like Kankuro, Temari, and Gaara were doing well. Yuno seemed to be struggling. Then there were a few others, who I didn't know the names of, that seemed to be just fine. Nakomi-sensei, sitting in front of our half-circle, was also meditating.

I sighed quietly, closing my eyes and zoning myself into my chakra once again.

.

.

.

As I walked through the front door of the orphanage, I froze upon spotting a shinobi in the kitchen, speaking with Reena-san as she cooked dinner.The shinobi himself wore his light brown hair pulled back in a topknot with his shinobi headband around his forehead.

"Is this Himoko?" He asked, raising a brow at me as he analyzed me for a few moments.

"Yes, this is Himoko, Himoko, this is Nakahana-san, he wanted to take you on as an apprentice," Reena-san explained.

I paused. What did they want me for? Were they trying to manipulate me? Are they going to force me to spill my secrets?

Nakahana-san sent me a small wave before approaching me and crouching down to my level, delivering a small grin, "I bet you have some questions. But the general gist of the matter is that your sensei believed that you have much potential in stealth and espionage. I'm pretty good at it myself. So if you agree, I would technically be adopting you," he explained.

I stared at him tensely, unsure. "I know that you're pretty young, but you have an anonymous sponsor that will be paying for your living expenses,"

Sponsor? Anonymous? I feel like those two words are never good together. I looked towards Reena-san, begging silently for possible advice.

"I personally think you should. You'll excel quickly, and I'll have one less mouth to feed," she chuckled, while stirring the soup.

I looked towards Nakahana-san as I slowly nodded my head. "Okay, fine."

What could I loose?

"Great! Go get your things packed up, and we'll be on our way. By the way, you can call me Shiruma-sensei!" He stated, ruffling my hair and sending me out, before turning towards Reena-san. "So, where do I need to sign?" He asked.