Chapter 17

Katy's POV

"Happy birthday sweetie!" My mum said, pulling me into a hug. She and my sister Natalie both stood in front of me awkwardly as if they couldn't quite figure out what to say.

"Why don't you come home for a couple hours? It's your 18th birthday Katy" Nat asked. I looked over at Juliet lying on the hospital bed and shook my head.

"Katy she's your English teacher, why do you care so much? You only get one 18th"

"I can't leave miss Jackson" I sighed "she has no one else, no one visits, what if she wakes up and there's no one there"

My mum sighed "Katy I'm sure she wouldn't expect you to throw away your 18th to sit by her bedside"

"Whether she expects me to or not I'm staying. She needs someone" I looked at Juliets pale cold hand lying on the bed, I desperate wanted to pick it up and caress it but I couldn't while my family were there.

"If you insist. Your birthday, your choice" mum said, Although she didn't sound completely sure. But I'll take it.

"I'm sure, you can go home if you want though"

She watched my face closely for a second before nodding "okay but call me if you need anything" she insisted.

I smiled and nodded back. Before walking back across the room to sit in my chair next to Juliet. I picked up her hand and couldn't hold my emotions in any longer. The tears began to pour down my face, falling onto her bed.

"Why can't you just wake up? Please for me just wake up" I wailed. I could feel the tears streaming, well aware that I must look awful

"Wake up wake up wake up..." I repeated, over and over until my voice grew coarse, yet of course miss Jackson's peaceful face remained just that... still and peaceful.