Chapter Twelve

"Date, Emmett? You've got a date with him?" Gwen asked, stunned to silence.

"Well, it's what this message says, I don't know what it means. Honestly, it could be a trap, and I don't want to be humiliated in front of these dwarves that, unfortunately, are our school mates." Emmett sighed before turning off his phone.

"What? Why would you do such a dumb thing? Turn it on, right now." Gwen urged.

"No, I cannot do that. Denver doesn't date, you are quite aware of that, Gwen. This is a trap." Emmett emphasised, a bit frustratingly.

"You are not Admiral Ackbar, stop saying that, okay? Geez, Em, you are such a drama queen sometimes, have I ever told you that? Stop overthinking and hand that to me." She motioned her head to the device that Emmett apparently wanted to throw away.

"Yes, a countless of many times but you seriously, don't understand the depth of this situation. Denver is surely up to something, he is the best prankster this school has ever had, Gwen, think it through. For all we know, this could be an act to gain popularity, the lad has talent when it comes to drama, you should know." Emmett pointed out somewhat bitterly. 

"That was one time, one time that I had assisted him in a prank, Emmett. We were not friends then, you and I and I was...well, I don't know what I was doing. Can you just let it go?" Gwen asked, enraged.

"I apologise for bringing that up, but you should know better than the rest of us since you were his girlfriend."

"Emmett, just stop talking. Don't bring it up, we have talked about this several times, why can't you get it through you thick skull that we are not together anymore?"

"Because maybe I am jealous, maybe I have always been jealous of you, Gwen for at least being affiliated to Denver romantically whereas I, never had the privilege of even befriending him. Can you blame me for this envy that I feel inside of me whenever I see him looking at you? You had a past, however short it was, you had something that I could only wish for, Gwen. Memories, they might be bittersweet, beguiling beasts of the endless lifestream, and each person that has either added a sliver of a coin or a pebble to this river, eventually helps in shaping its flow, they  help in shaping us, Gwen but you wouldn't understand!" Emmett theorised, despondently sighing to himself.

"I get it, Em. I do, and even if they help in shaping us, we'd have to let them go when they become the cause of our misery instead of giving us the sweet nostalgia that is reminiscent whenever we look back, especially to the happy times. Certain things are to be, Emmett. Denver and I had something, but it's all in the past. Denver and you can still have something and I don't want you to lose that opportunity by concentrating on such insignificant things. Go to this date, see what he has to say, and then you can judge him for all I care but don't let this go to waste." She consolidated, supporting him like he was her priority. 

"I don't think so, Gwen. It'd be a disaster and what would I tell my Mum? You know I am not that good of a liar as compared to you." Emmett analysed, sighing to himself in exhaustion. 

"If that is your way of asking me to do the honours of lying to your Mum then, I have no qualms in telling her that you and I are going on a date but just add a little please, for my sake and you would've successfully signed this deal." Gwen exaggerated, giving Emmett a lopsided smile.

"Really? Do I have to?"

"Yes, you have to. Now, speak or forever hold your silence."

"Gods, fine! Please, Gwen? Would you grant me this favour?"

"Your wish is granted, son. Now, chop-chop, let's get you all dolled up for your date with the Devil."