Chapter Eighteen

"Emmett, can I borrow your charger? My phone's about to die and- what are you doing?" Gwen halted, eyes narrowed on Emmett as he moved around his room.

"I have to go," Emmett answered curtly.

"Can you elaborate?" Gwen asked, masking her anger at his tone.

"Just somewhere, you will find the charger on my bedside table, plug in and have fun, I'd be home soon." He told her, whilst shrugging on a denim jacket.

"Em, don't deflect. You need to tell me." Gwen urged him.

"I cannot do that, I promise, Gwen, I'll be safe but don't expect me to tell you, for it is not even my place to do so." He told her.

"So, you're going to the Lemon Lake then?" She deduced, frowning at his behaviour.

"What? I don't-" Emmett started.

"Oh, save it. For God's sake, Emmett! You do not have to become a pathological liar to spare my feelings. I can handle the truth, besides, I don't feel anything for Denver so it really isn't a bother. How many times to I have to tell you this?" Gwen rationalised fiercely.

"It was  his suggestion, I didn't want to upset you and do not pretend to be all generous, Gwen. Lemon Lake means a lot to you both and I respect that, I do but at least I don't act pretentiously all the time." He responded calmly.

"This is not about me, Em." She shook her head, sighing at her outburst.

"Exactly. It is not about you, hence it shouldn't concern you. It is a date, and it was my idea in the first place so please, respect that." Emmett reasoned with her.

"Are you seriously kidding me? I am not against you, Emmett. What is wrong with you? That boy's influence seems to be the cause of your absurd temperament, you were never like this-this love-stricken, love-obsessed lad, too oblivious and naive, what has gotten into you?" She lashed out again, trying to explain her point.

"Nothing! It is nothing, all right? Just leave Denver out of this, he has nothing to do with my behaviour." Emmett raised his voice a bit.

"Then what is it? Because it is apparent to me, Emmett. You have changed, he has changed you and this isn't you, I know the real you, he's not good for you. " She pointed out, too frustrated at him.

"Oh please! Enough with this nonsense, Gwen. If you are so envious of our relationship then, why did you leave him for Dustin Williamson, huh? These lies, they will not work on me, and just because you've dated him, doesn't mean that you know everything about him, so just stop, okay? Stop!" He finally gave in, irked by her pestering.

"Fine, if this is what you want, then I will not coax you into doing anything, Emmett. But I just care about you, and I don't want you to get hurt as I did." Gwen gave him a supportive smile.

"I can take care of myself, Gwen. You need to trust me and let me make my own decisions first, and you are terribly wrong about him you know? He is not what you assume him to be, he is good, and I might be a love-stricken, love-obsessed fool, but I can see him exactly for who he is and he is too good for me." Emmett returned her smile, pleading with her to understand.

"If you say so, Em. Well, off you go then. Have fun!" She waved at him.

"You, too." Emmett returned the gesture, offering her a smile.

Emmett was, inadvertently, immersed into the oceanic sails of his mindful consciousness. Reflecting upon a time that he presumed, was too differently similar to this current predicament, he couldn't help but wish to encase his memories in some ornate seashell, obliterated and washed away by the stream of sea waves, sailing away from the shore of this highland dream, inducing him to inevitably become free of these burdens and blessing him, in turn, to live without them but was he willing to put up with this beautiful loss? Could he stake him for some meandering memories?