Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Kid, can I get you anything?" A voice called out.

"He will not speak up." Someone commented with a sigh.

"I think he is in shock, but no one can blame him." The other person spoke up, after observing him.

"He has been through a lot today, poor lad." A girlish voice stated after popping a bubble, chewing on the gum rather incessantly for anyone's liking.

"Should we inform his folks?" A man inquired softly.

"There is no need for that, his girlfriend is already on her way." The girl nonchalantly responded.

"Well, this is going to be breaking news soon, the other kid, how is his condition?" Another one questioned,

"Horrendous, he has a cracked skull, ruptured spine, too many broken bones to be mended in time, he wouldn't be able to make it." The girl observed her nail paint as she informed them nonchalantly.

"Geez, what were they even doing near the quarry, especially at this time?" The man shook his head, scoffing in disbelief at the situation.

"I do not know, but this is very tragic." Someone voiced their opinions, as they eyed the boy with pity.

"Indeed, I heard that the boy had apparently saved him, and in the process of rescuing him, he had lost his footing on those ghastly rocks." A man reasoned, eyes shining in sympathy as he looked at him.

"They should've covered up that damned quarry." The girl bitterly added.

"Is it an accident-prone area?" The same man questioned.

"Yes, it is." She gave them a nod.

"Jesus Christ, can you both shut up and instead look after the kid? He is shivering, go and get him a blanket." A man barged in and fumed at the shuddering form of the boy.

"Rob, ain't letting us get away, I see." He sniggered, enraging the aforementioned man.

"Piss off, Chuck." The man, named Rob told him as he neared him.

"Whatever," Chuck said with much indifference as he looked at his phone in boredom.

"Hey, lad. What is your name?" Rob hesitatingly asked from the shuddering, hunched up figure of the boy. 

"He will not speak, Rob. We think he is in shock." The girl repeated, earning herself a nod from the man.

"He has a gash on his elbow though, did you stitch it up?" He gestured towards the aforementioned wound.

"Yes, we did." She gave a nod before getting distracted by someone.

"Emmett?" Gwen forcefully dragged herself to the figure of his best friend.

"Are you his girlfriend, the one with whom I had talked on the phone ?" The chirpy girl questioned, observing her.

"I am his friend, Gwen. Is he all right?" She softly enquired before sighing.

"He is in a state of shock," Rob informed her.

"Emmett. Hey, buddy, I am here, I am here. Emmett?" Gwen embraced him as she rubbed circles on his back in comfort but Emmett's gaze was too fixated on his shoes to notice.

"Should we call a Doctor?" Rob nervously scratched his head as he directed his question towards his colleagues.

"I don't think it is necessary, besides the kid needs his rest, he looks too exhausted to function properly." She replied, shrugging it off.