Chapter Twenty-Three

"The treatment for this is complicated, for it is not so easily curable, given that the diagnosed patient often has a poor insight and cannot comprehensibly come to terms with their psychiatric problem but, they do come to show a somewhat partial improvement, that could be brought forth by antipsychotics and medicines alike but it is only a temporary resort, and it is not my intention to discourage you, but the chances seem to be next to negligible for Emmett's full recovery from this disorder unless..." Arthur trailed off, seemingly in deep thought as he racked his mind for a plausible solution.

"Unless what? Please, Arthur, if there is a way to cure him of this, we'd like to know." Emmett's father requested, making Arthur nod in response.

"Unless he comes to self-realisation regarding his hallucinations, I am afraid there is not much we can do. And here is where all the doctors, essentially like to draw the line, Mr Anderson but I wouldn't do this to you, especially not to Emmett. So, we need to help him, give him a cause to live, provide him with much affection and care that somehow, has become a determinant factor in prolonging this disorder. If we can work as a team, Mrs Anderson, if I can understand the predominant reason behind Emmett's delusions, I can try to revive him, but it is not as easy as it seems to be and I am certain that there is more to this story than we can foresee." He paused, eyes narrowed at his notes as he thought to himself.

"We will do anything, Doctor. We have failed him, and this is an opportunity for us to right our wrongs, so whatever it takes, we will save him, together." Emmett's mother was commented, drawing Arthur's attention from his scribbled notes, as he scrutinised the possibilities of the given predicament.

"All right then, I have something that I'd like to ask from you both." He retorted after awhile, determinedly looking at them.

"What is it?" One of them asked, curious to know.

"When I had first reached that place...Lemon Lake as you call it, and was almost successful in saving Emmett, he had screamed out a name. He was continuously chanting this name like a hymn and I didn't understand it then but now that we have decided to work together, maybe you can help me with this." He reminisced.

"What was the name?" It was Emmett's father who had asked him, making him sigh as he pondered.

"I think he said -----, does it sound familiar to you?" He finally questioned them.

"-----? I am not sure." Mrs Anderson mumbled.

"Maybe Tom could help us?" Mr Anderson quipped.

"Thomas, he has been diagnosed with I.E.D right?" Arthur confirmed.

"Yes, we have always been too careful with him, so much so that we have blatantly ignored Emmett in the process, especially when he needed us the most, it is all our fault." She exclaimed, heart-wrenching at the memory.

"Calm down, Mrs Anderson. Mistakes are bound to happen, but you can make up for them now that you have been presented with the opportunity. Moreover, I would like to inform you regarding the current state of Emmett's mind. He is in a very delicate condition, he might not even remember the incident of the Lemon Lake due to this disorder so I'd like to warn you, that under no circumstances, should you approach him about this. When I say this, Mr Anderson, I say it with utmost precaution and urgency, he is very fragile presently and I'd suggest you to not meet with him since it could possibly trigger something formidable and we cannot let that happen again." Arthur rationalised, with sympathetic eyes.

"But-"

"You, too Mrs Anderson. I hate to bring this up but you both didn't accept him at first, and Emmett, still might not be over that occurrence. Thomas, on the other hand, can meet with his brother on the same condition. He needs intensive care and I think, for the time being, this resort can help us. I apologise for doing this to both of you but as Emmett's doctor, I am compelled to take care of my patient." He sounded apologetic and genuine.

"It is fine, Doctor. We understand, and I should go and talk to Tom, he would be delighted to hear this, I am sure." She rambled off.

"There is no need for that, Mum." Thomas interrupted her, astounding them all.

"Tom?" She asked eyebrows pinched in confusion.

"When did you come back, son?" His father questioned softly.

"It doesn't matter, Dad. I have heard everything and I'd like to help you, Doctor Campbell but you have to cure my brother of this nasty disorder, please, you have to save him." He approached him carefully, eyes desperate and despondent demanded from him to save his little brother.

"I will try my best, Thomas." Arthur offered him a small smile, assuring his of his endeavours.

"And I have also called Gwen, she is Emmett's best friend, so I assumed that she could help us with his case since she knows almost everything regarding him." Thomas further explained.

"That is very considerate of you, Thomas. It will indeed, help us in exploring our options. Also, I have a few things that I'd like to give you back, given they belong to Emmett." Arthur spoke as he pointed towards the far corner of his office, where Emmett's backpack and other necessities were carefully positioned, possibly retrieved from the park that had become his hideaway.

"Thank you, Doctor. When can we...when can Thomas see him?"

"I will check in with my staff and let you know. In the meantime, please feel free to use my office. Those waiting chairs seem to be quite uncomfortable anyway." Arthur told them, as he slowly made his way towards the door.

"Doctor!" Thomas called out, as he matched his step.

"Yes?" Arthur turned around, with a confounded look on his face.

"I would like to apologise for my previous actions, I shouldn't have said that." Teary-eyed, he gave him an ashamed look.

"It is fine, Thomas. I can understand your reaction, but you do not have to worry about Emmett, he is in save hands, son." Arthur consoled the boy.

"May I see him? I swear I wouldn't disturb you, I just want to look at him, we all do." He asked hesitatingly.

"Very well, but please stay outside, at least until I have checked in with my doctors about your brother's state." With that, he hastily made his way towards Emmett.

Thomas wearily eyed his whim inclination directed towards his brother. Despite his predisposition, the determined defiance of the Doctor had impetuously provided him with a motive of his own; to save his brother and he was willing to indulge in this fright-fight with Emmett's mind, even if it could, endanger his endeavours and could possibly pose as a threat to his diagnosis, Thomas was prepared to encounter this scuffle with belligerence and bellicosity; he thought for the most part, that he could use his antagonism to attain better results, and aggression sometimes, did achieve militance required to ward off such disorders and delusions.

Springful Summertide reflected in his blue ocean eyes, his otherwise estranged demeanour was met with the severity of his soul's sentient melee, he confided, he could help him, he concluded, before begrudgingly joining the Doctor, who was colossally capable and concise in altercating his brother's life tide, as it seemed and Thomas, in such unforeseen times, drew inspiration from the kind man.

With a final stance, he approached Arthur, ready to face his brother for the first time, in two weeks. 

                                                              ↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯↯