Chapter Twenty

"So, what do you think of it? If we take this route, we'd get down sufficiently, we just need to be precautious, especially with those rocks that are scattered precariously around the water, they wouldn't exactly cushion our fall, if we fall, that is. And you are being awfully quiet, grey eyes." The stranger summarised, after coherently analysing their surroundings.

"I do not think this to be a good idea." Emmett shook his head, determinedly.

"Is that so?" He asked, ready to prove his point.

"Yes, and forgive me for what I am about to say but risking our lives just for the sake of this adventure is not logical of us to go through. All this seems to be very enthralling, I can see that and this clearly means something to you but I am simply afraid of the consequences." Emmett emphasised, strictly against this plan.

"You don't trust me, do you darlin'?" He sighed, disappointed in himself for making him feel like that.

"It is not about trust, it is not-" Emmett started only to be interrupted.

"Come on, I can see it in your eyes, mate. You do not trust me, and-" The boy stated despondently.

"I trust you more than anything, okay? I don't trust this place or this quarry but I trust you with my life, yet I do not intend to lose you for the sake of some twisted thrill-seeking, life-endangering experience, I refuse to take that risk." Emmett was quick to the rescue, blatantly speaking his mind.

"I apologise for insinuating that, darlin'. But believe me, we will be fine, have a look at it, will you?" He gestured towards, what Emmett had assumed, the supposed route.

"If you say so." Emmett reluctantly agreed as they looked at it together.

"Yes, now look at this, it clearly seems to be some sort of a pathway and with the help of those studious looking rocks, I believe, we will get the hang of it, wouldn't we?" He asked hopefully.

"Yes, I suppose so. But it will involve the skill of rock-climbing, and what if we slip and fall? This does not bode well with me." Emmett shuddered at the possibility.

"It will be fine, we need to concentrate on our steps and these rocks, make sure to grip them tightly, grey eyes. Curl your fingers around the grooves, hold them with all your might and you'd get there." The green-eyed boy elaborated, trying to convince a frightened Emmett.

"It is still very dangerous, I am not willing to take these odds." Was all Emmett could say.

"Well, you took a chance with me. I'd consider that luck to befit within all of my odds." He pointedly stared at Emmett, making him sigh.

Discontented, he felt disillusioned at the prospect of this complexity that he couldn't bring himself to resolve. Disenchanted, Emmett sophisticatedly, tried to reason with the jaded-eyed boy, enlightening him on the various aspects of this mostly doltish charade like some calamity. But he was determinedly set in anguish over Emmett's well-versed words. His richly refreshed orbs of green had bedimmed and were beclouded with obvious trepidation which could, in turn, be termed as intimidating if not for Emmett's consistent consolidation. But he could feel himself breathless, dazed even from the intensity of his stare; with pleading, complacent facial expressions morphed into a silent appeal, as if Emmett resembled and possessed the powers of the Goddess Fortuna, tasked tentatively with granting fortitude and willing winsomely to bless with wishes, he thought, he had no choice but to give in to this yearning.

"I...I am willing to do this, just for your sake." Emmett caved in, his words instantly had a positive impact on the boy.

"Aye, thank you so much, lad." He had embraced him suddenly, making Emmett laugh at his excitement.