Chapter Twenty-Two: Fail to be Normal

"Okay Kiddos. Everyone out." Amelia said as she opened the van door and Peter, MJ, and Noah climbed out. She gave Noah a hug and waved at the others as they walked into the building. Amelia's phone went off and she put her sunglasses back on as the messages popped up.

Tony: I found an old box of tapes with your hand writing on them. On your way back?

"FRIDAY. Message Tony back and tell him that I will be home in 10 minutes." Amelia said as she got in the car and pulled out. Music softly played in the background as Amelia got lost in thought. She hadn't even realized that she had pulled into the parking lot until Happy knocked on her window. She jumped and pulled a gun out making Happy jump. She rested her head against the steering wheel and closed her eyes as Happy grabbed his chest. Amelia put the gun away, turned the car off, and got out. "I'm sorry Happy I was lost in thought."

"What were you thinking about?" He asked her curious as he walked her to the elevator.

"My life choices." She mumbled as she got on the elevator. The doors closed and she was lost in thought all over again. When it opened she stood for about ten minutes before JARVIS spoke.

"Ma'am." JARVIS said pulling Amelia out of her thoughts. She stepped off the elevator and heard her voice.

"... Just know that I love you Anthony and there will never be a thing you could do to disappoint me. You are the greatest creation I have ever made and the world would be lost without you baby. I love you forever and always. Mom." As her picture dropped Amelia stood by the wall for a minute as soft sobs came out of Tony.

"I really truly hoped you would never watch that." Amelia said making Tony quickly try and clean himself up. Amelia moved over and pulled a shocked Tony into her arms. "Sweetie you don't have to be strong for me. You can cry and be scared and whatever with me." Tony hugged her back and cried into her shoulder for a minute.

"Do you want to watch the one Dad left you?" He asked once he calmed back down. She stared at her hands for a minute then nodded. Tony pressed a button then sat back. Amelia rested her head on his shoulder and tried to mentally prepare herself. The Howard that propped up was the Howard Amelia had seen in the articles about his death. A much older Howard.

"Hey Lia. If you are seeing this... You woke up and I'm gone. Tony may not even be around or he is helping you understand the world that was created in your absence. Whatever the case I hope you moved on because I couldn't. I tired but I couldn't and it sent me back to the one thing we promised would never happen again. That nurse. Maria. I thought I might feel better but it made me feel worse. You would be so upset with me if you saw how Tony was raised." He rubbed his face as tears started to form in his eyes. "I couldn't even look at our son for years because he reminded me so much of you. He is so brilliant. A genius like you. A mind before his time. God I messed up Lia. I know you would be so disappointed. I hope you find a better man. Someone who can love you better than I ever could. Give you what I never could. A normal life. A family." Amelia at this point had sat up and covered her mouth with her hand. "God I really fucked up the only good thing in my life. You and Tony were the best thing that ever happened to me and I let that bitch fuck everything up. Christmas is coming up. I think I am going to end things with Maria. Tell Tony about you. It's time he knew the truth. I may not have a chance at being the father you thought I could be but Tony should know he has a real mother who thought that he could be anything he set his mind to. I hope you have a better chance at love Lia and to prove to myself and you that this is what I want I recorded this over my original video that I did when we went to Russia. I love you but you deserve better." The second the older Howard finished the film changed to the younger Howard. "I hope I am your last love and you raise Anthony in a way I could be proud." The younger Howard said before the video stopped all together. Amelia let out a heart wrenching sob and put her face in her lap. Tony rubbed his mother's back softly not sure what he should do. Usually he would call Bruce but that wasn't an option. So he called the next best thing. 15 minutes later a breathless Steve came jogging out of the elevator.