Chapter 11: Clues and Companions

(Raven's view)

A few weeks later as I walked into market I spotted a familiar face, and turned to see Aviva and a man who must be her father approaching.

"Morning, Raven!" Aviva greeted, as soon as they stopped to stand beside me in front of one of the shops.

"Well, good morning to you as well Aviva." I said, as I greeted her with a hug.

"I'm very happy to see you." I said, and she smiled before introducing me to her father.

"Good morning, Raven." her father said, as he held out his hand for me to shake.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Yagari." I said, and he smiled kindly at me.

"Nice to meet you too, and please call me Toga. " he said, as I smiled.

"I was wondering if Aviva would like to go for a walk with me." I asked, as I looked at her hopefully.

"Please father?" she asked, as she looked at Toga who thought for a moment before nodding his permission.

"Of course, as long as you all come back before nightfall." he said, and I eagerly nodded.

"Thank you, we'll be home before nightfall." I said, as I took Aviva's hand with a smile.

"Ready?" I asked, and she eagerly squeezed my hand. "Absolutely, let's go!" she said, as we started off.

"What did you do when you got home that night?" she asked, and I smiled as I squeezed her hand a little tighter.

"Well, once I got home everything was pretty quiet so I figured everyone was getting ready for bed but when I walked in I found my mother waiting for me. She asked me where I'd been so I told her that I had trouble sleeping and decided to take a night walk." I said, and she laughed.

"My dad asked me the same thing, and I then told him about meeting you." she said, which made my smile brighten.

"I'm very glad to have you for my friend Aviva Yagari." I said, as I swung her hand.

"I'm glad you're my friend too Raven." She said, as she smiled at me.

"I need your help with something." She said, and I looked at her curiously.

"What is it?" I asked, as I gave her an encouraging smile.

"Well, I've been having some very strange dreams lately." she said, and I raised an eyebrow in confusion at her statement.

"How strange are they?" I asked, and she looked me directly in the eye.

"Strange enough that it seems vampires keep appearing in them to tell me that I'm one of them." she said, as I raised my eyebrow again in perplexion.

"That is strange, perhaps we should do some investigating this evening." I said, and she smiled at me.

"Really?" she asked, as she looked at me hopefully.

"Of course." I said, as I returned her hopeful look with one of my own.

"That is if you'd like to." I said, and she nodded in excitement.

"Of course I would, when should we start?" she asked, and I grinned at her.

"I'll call you after dinner." I promised, and she smiled at me.

"Great, I'm so excited to do some sleuthing with you tonight." she said, and I grinned.

"Excellent, we'll talk more about our plan in a little while but for now let's head back to town." I said, as we retraced our steps and began walking back the way we had come until we reached the market.

When we returned we found Toga sitting on a bench eating a cheese sandwich while reading a book.

He looked up when he saw us approaching, "Ah, hello you two.. How was the walk?" he asked, as he set his book aside and motioned for us to join him on the bench.

"It was lovely," Aviva said, as she smiled over at me with a determined glow in her eyes.

"We talked about the strange dreams that I have been having for the past few weeks, and would like to do some sleuthing to find out why. With your permission of course." she said, as Toga's eyes turned dark slightly before they softened in affection for her and he nodded.

"Very well, but you must promise to stay together and call me if anything scary happens." he said, and I let out a sigh of relief. "We promise." I said, as I grinned at her in excitement.