CHAPTER 9

Coldness crept through the piece of cloth that covered the shivering body of a pale girl. Such means of warmth was no longer effective as the cold wind leaves its icy touch.

Elin felt a burning sensation as she breathe in the cold air. Fleeting, misty cloud was seen when the rays of the sun peeked through the aborescent shrubs.

“You stay here for awhile Elin. I’ll make sure the area is safe”, Nero ordered the little lady to stay put. He then disappeared and went inside the Forest of Rever.

This was the first time that Elin and Nero went to the Forest together. Elin was still 15 years old at that time.

The black fairy went and search around the area where the cottage was located. He made sure that no beast was prying within the vicinity.

“Oyaaaa! are you perhaps lost, little lady?”, a tall brawly man suddenly appeared. He mistook Elin as a very young miss for her petite figure. She was smaller than those people of the same age.

“Pops, don’t approach her. You’re scaring the little girl”, a beautiful girl much older than Elin showed up.

“You can come with us if you like. This place is VERY dangerous for a little girl like you. I’m Ailana by the way and that big man there is my father, Callahan. We call him Pops. So, what’s your name?”, the girl crouched down and looked at Elin.

“I’m Elin. Nice to meet you”, Elin answered timidly.

Elin joined them on their trip back home. She can’t refuse them as they kept on insisting her to come along. They arrived in a village a few meters away from the forest with few people walking down the street. This was the only town that was near enough for the monsters to often raid the place. However, people who lived there were used to the sudden invasion of the beasts. They were strong enough to withstand the attack on their own.

When they arrived in a small house at the edge of the town, a beautiful Lady greeted them with a warm smile.

“Araaaa. Who do we have here? Is this your illegitimate child, dear?”, the woman said teasingly.

“Ehhh. Of course not and don’t use that word infront a child”, Callahan panicked after hearing the woman’s words.

“Welcome, dear. I’m Nera. You can call me ‘Mom’ if you like”, Nera smiled sweetly at the little Lady.

“I’m Elin. Thank you for allowing me to stay here”, Elin slightly curtseyed,

“What a very polite little girl! You can stay here as long as you like. Now, go sit there near the fireplace and warm yourself up while we prepare for dinner”, Nera patted little Elin’s head.

Elin sat down and watched the happy family. She felt sad for Elin knew she can never experience such warmness with her own family.

“Ohooo! Who’s this, ma? Did Pops finally brought his child?”, a boy arrived along with an older one.

“Why do all of you keep on insisting that I have someone else? Nera is the only one for ME”, Callahan insisted.

All of them laughed as they teased the man. Elin smiled at their happiness.

“I’m Lucian, the oldest of the three. You can call me ‘big brother’”, the boy smiled warmly at Elin.

“I’m Elin. Nice to meet you”, Elin said shyly.

“I was the one who saw her first. Why did you butt in, big bro?”, the younger one appeared at Lucian’s side.

“The young lady was waiting. While you were so rudely ignoring her, I introduced myself instead”, Lucian reprimanded him.

“Yah! Yah! Whatever. I’m Fynn by the way. You can also call me ‘brother’. Now, c’mon. Say it”, Fynn stared at her with anticipation.

“Yes, b-brother”, Elin stuttered.

Both brothers were happy after hearing the word. Lucian patted Elin’s head and smiled like a summer moonlight. It was both dazzling and magical.

Fynn stared at Elin and Lucian. His eyes lit up as he thought of a plan. He suddenly approached Nera with excitement.

“Ma, can we keep her? Pleeeassseee? I’ve always wanted a little sister”, Fynn pleaded to her mom.

“Stop bothering mother, Fynn. AND act your age. You’re already 17 years old”, Lucian scolded him again. Fynn just pouted while looking at his brother. He went back pleading his mother with large shimmering puppy dog eyes.

“Elin does not belong to us, Fynn”, Nera said while patting the boy’s head.

“I can visit here if you allow me to”, Elin suggested while looking down shyly.

“That would be wonderful, muffin”, Nera smiled brightly at Elin’s words.

Elin would often visit the family when her lessons were finished. She would immediately escape from the mansion with the help of Nero’s shadow portal.

It was the time she felt so warm being with such a loving family. Although, they were not her real family, she felt like she was part of them.

Elin was thought hand-to-hand combat by Callahan after she kept on pleading. The man couldn’t say no to the cute small child any longer so he trained her himself. Elin would even spar with Lucian and Fynn. After their match, Ailana would teach Elin some magic. They would often talk and giggle for hours as Ailana share all the stories she could think of to Elin.

“Muffin”, Nera sat down beside Elin as she rested for awhile before going home.

“Yes, mom?”, the little girl responded timidly.

Nera placed a necklace around Elin’s neck. Its pendant shined like the north star that guides you through the endless night.

“Keep this, dear. I want you to always remember us. No matter what they say, we are always your family”, Nera kissed Elin’s forehead. She tightly embraced the child like a mother cradling her baby.

As she was about to embrace back, Elin woke up from a nostalgic dream. She sat and stared at the necklace around her neck. Tears fell down her cold numbing cheeks as she reminisce the little happiness she had while it lasted.