Prologue

Nothing in life is how I ever expected. I grew up being lied to by books and films. Life is not perfect and the problems in it do not necessarily make you deep or interesting. I spent my teenage years watching all of these boring, female leads have guys fall all over them. These pure as gold but haunted women who were so completely unrealistic plagued me especially while looking in the mirror. I felt like my lack of a dark past made me uninteresting and predictable. How was I to know that the "deepness" I craved was shallow and unnecessary? How was I to know that when I did have my own baggage that it would ruin me?

             I had a relatively normal upbringing. Nothing particularly bad or good happened to me, for the first 18 years anyway. I mean, other than hitting puberty at 11 and way before anyone else. I always felt lacking. I wasn't interesting enough or skinny enough or dangerous enough. I was never enough. I wish they were my biggest concerns now. I wish I knew that a simple life is better than a dark one. I wish I didn't know how dangerous life could actually be. I craved intensity but now I just wanted simplicity.

            It's hard to talk about the darkest times of my life. Therapy has helped but there's only so much I'm willing to admit to and I'm never in one place long enough to delve too much into anything. Haunted by the people who have made me an anxiety ridden mess both figuratively and literally. I used to be much more logical and calm. I looked at romantic movies like I was studying human life. I didn't understand a lot of the emotions because I had not experienced them for myself. Now it feels like I've experienced more emotions than anyone needs to in a lifetime. I'm exhausted. 

            Yes, my backstory isn't fun. No, I don't want to get into it now but I will. In my own time. Unfortunately, like every stereotypical 'broken girl,' I have trust issues. I don't like getting close to people anymore. Not since it happened. Not since he won't let me stay settled for too long. I'm not sure what else I can say to make this easier to understand. I don't really want to share any more details, it's too painful. I'm essentially rambling at this point to avoid the real story. 

          Anyway, I promised the end of vague ramblings so let's go with some facts. My name is Sophie Brant and I'm 21. When I was 18 I was in a pretty serious car crash that killed my parents. Fortunately, I came from a very well-off family so the inheritance money paid for therapy. Unfortunately, the crash was not any accident. The occupant of the other car being the very person I've been running from for three years. Having money helps with setting up new lives but it doesn't help with feeling completely alone in life. I tried hiring security and staying put but he finds a way. If he knows where I am, I am in danger. So I ran and never stopped. Today being yet another moving day...