C H A P T E R 3

/ 𝕿𝖗𝖊𝖘 /

/ 𝕿𝖗𝖊𝖘 /

10 MONTHS AFTER. . .

PATRICIA

   "Report your findings." Mr. Armani bombarded me that statement as I slipped myself inside his office to report about what my trusted subordinate has told me regarding the university's current state as a temporary surveillance during my absense for these past few months.

   I took a deep breath before answering him because I feel too perplexed about what I'm about to say given that the information I have received would be... unbelieavable.

   "I was informed by one of my trusted subjects that the order of the school is doing immaculate, by that I mean, no war has spoken up between our students for the past few months."

   "No war? Do you think that's possible here?" malagim nitong tanong sa akin habang nakangisi. Napalunok ako. "Take a seat. Let's hear more about that interesting predicament of yours—or more accurately, wherever your trusted man got that from." he gestured his hand to the sofa in front of him, and I only have one job: that is to abide by his orders.

   I stepped forward and quietly sat on the couch. Facing him afront, I can now clearly see certain changes on his face as I set my eyes at them. Exhausted, distraught, yet still powerful to stare at. I lowered my eyes. Having to had not seen each other for months because we had separate matters under our jurisdiction, we both can utterly say, without a doubt, that we are not pleasantly accepting the changes we harbored from the former events that took place in another hell—a hell that is the law, that is.

   "As long as I can remember, this place has never rebuffed any wars before. It's substantially an open battlefield that no one can hinder," he started off and grabbed the glass of wine sitting on the table beside him and took a sip from it before sighing. "Patricia, I have been outside this Inferno for months, and so did you, haven't you? Yet you still ought to bring me the news that no war has at least once happened here while we were gone? Might consider yourself getting a new subordinate by daring to speak nonsensical lies—"

   "It's not a lie, Mr. Wittgen. My subordinate never tells lies." I cut him off. I don't need to have him stuck in that delusion forever.

   Although I understand his wariness and refusual to swallow that information in his mouth, there's no time to let it wander through his head. I was baffled when I heard them the first time as well, but my subordinate reassured me that if I let myself be trampled by some petty conviction that manifests ignorance, the next thing we'll know is: we'll be ruling beneath our graveyard.

   "I have not performed any investigations ahead yet because I just got here, sir, but my trusted subordinate certainly did his job and reported me the current pecularties circulating in this university. If you trust me, I'd like for you to trust him as well," I said and handed out a paper containing all the activities, including the littliest bit of actions from the students, that happened in this place for the past few months we're away.