15

The door to the wagon burst open and Otto flinched back as the sun blazed into his eyes. Gauntleted hands appeared and unlocked his handcuff from the wagon and hauled him out. He was set roughly on his feet and marched across the grass to a white tent. Around him, he could see the army setting up to attack. Moving the catapults into position as men on horseback rode up and and down the lines. The sounds of shouting, clanging steel and the clink of armour as prevalent as Otto was tugged forwards. The telmarines were positioned on the edge of the forest. On the other side of the clearing, Otto could see the tomb. Narnians surrounding it. Archers positioned on the stone levels, watching the enemy. Otto wanted to run to them, but the soldier on either side of him kept him moving towards the tent.

The tent was a high roofed structure with only one side assembled. It was nestled back in the wood, hidden safely in the trees. It was held up by wooden polls and rugs covered the grass. Facing the temple was a horseshoe assembly of temples. Miraz was sat in a ornate wooden throne at its head. The man was dressed in a dark set of armour much like the one Caspian wore. Around him sat what Otto guessed for be members of the King's council. They all wore fine clothes and the tables in front of them were occupied with goblets of wine and plates of food. They were talking amongst themselves but quieted as the soldiers shoved Otto to his knees before them. Otto raised his head and glared at Miraz. The man, who Otto was starting to hate with a passion, merely smirked.

"This is the boy", one of the council members asked. He was a elderly man with white hair. He looked at Otto in disbelief. "He doesn't look like much. Are you sure that he is the Narnian King's right hand".

"Kings and Queens", Otto corrected loudly. "Narnia has two kings and two queens. And you should offer them some respect".

The council members laughed as if this was a ludicrous suggestion. "They are children", one objected.

"We do not bow to savages. Those narnian's are nothing but animals", another spat.

"The only two savages I see here are the ones wearing finery", Otto snarled. "Savages who think they are better than others. You are the invaders. This is not your land. You are led by a king who would murder his own family in cold blood for the throne". The more he spoke, the more Miraz's face grew harder. He waved a hand and a one of the soldiers struck Otto across the face, cutting off his words. The blow reopened the sword wound on his cheek and blood began dripping down his face. He could feel the swelling bruises from yesterday sting painfully. He couldn't hide the noise of surprise and pain from his lips. Miraz smiled.

"Beware betrayal betrayer", Otto muttered as he spat blood. "A man who betrays everything will be betrayed himself. Cause who would follow a liar?" He smiled maliciously, the blood on his face making him seem wild and mad.

"Gag him", Miraz sighed. "I no longer wish to listen to a child". A hand grabbed Otto by the hair and wretched his head back. He struggled as a piece of cloth was tied around his mouth. It tasted like dirt, stinging his sore face. Otto glowered through his hair. His eyes bruised and dark on his discoloured skin. The council paid him no heed. They resumed their conversation and eating. Talking loudly at each other as Otto knelt in the corner. The position made his knees ache and the scent of food made his stomach rumble.

After a while the captain of the guard entered the tent. He crossed round the table and bent down the whisper in Miraz's ear. Miraz nodded and got up, following the captain out of sight. "Move him out of sight", one of the council members ordered. He was a man, younger than Miraz but still past his middle age, with a head of dark curls and a beard which was whitening at the edges. He looked at Otto as if he was something disgusting that the cat dragged in. Obediently, the soldiers pulled Otto up by his shoulders and dragged him round the tent and to a tree nearby. They dropped him and Otto immediately fell to the floor. He used his bound hands to push himself up and sat cross legged in the dirt. The two soldiers guarding him standing on either side, a clear barrier between him and his escape.