23

Caspian happily led Otto through a maze of corridors on the castle ground floor. Because the caste was built one the edge of a jagged stone cliff, there were dozens of stone corridors leading underground, hidden passage ways and trap doors. Otto let Caspian talk the whole way. He was trying to absorb the steady flowing stream of information while also trying to wrap his head around the sheer fantasy castle vibe of this place. Now Otto had visited the ruins of a few castles back in England, but this was truly a castle straight out of a book. Dark stone with gothic style architecture on the battlements and balconies. High misty turrets over looking the forest in the distance.

Otto had seen it from above when flying. But he'd had his eyes mostly closed out of fear that griffen would drop him. Also the castle had been mostly shrouded in mist. In the light of day, Otto was fully able to take in the beauty of Caspian's home. The thought sent a thrilling feeling of excitement and warmth through him. He couldn't contain his smile as he listened to Caspian talk.

Apparently there were two main courtyards. The main courtyard at the front gate and then a smaller one round the side of the building. There was also the guards barracks underground where they kept the weaponry. They were near to the dungeons, which Caspian thankfully stayed clear off. The stables were just shy of the side gate, half above ground, half under it. Several stone paths breached out from the side gate out round the city to the plains to the east of the castle where the guards trained.

The servants quarters, dining rooms and kitchens were all on the ground floor. Although Caspian mentioned that most of the servants lived in the city. The first floor was home to the main council rooms and a few guest rooms. The room Otto was in last night was one of those guest rooms.

"The second floor", Caspian continued as they walked along the battlements. The sun was warm and Otto could smell the scent of oncoming autumn on the air. Down in the main courtyard below, they could hear servants chatting as they completed their work. Otto watched Caspian's face, absorbing the soft sound of his accent. "Contains the royal quarters. In the west wing there's the school rooms, the tutor's quarters and the library where I was taught as a boy", Caspian smiled at the memories. "The east wing is more guest rooms for more important guests such as council members". He gestured with a wave of his arm towards each wing.

"If you stay"- Caspian's voice faltered for a moment. Otto turned to face him and Caspian plastered a quick smile on his face. "If you and the others stay", he continued as if he had never paused. "Then your living quarters would be either in the west wing, or in the main keep with the royal quarters". He smiled brighter, but there was something off about his gaze. Otto ignored the pang at the thought of leaving and grinned back.

"What are you going about the council members?" He asked instead.

Caspian grimaced. "I told them last night that they have all had their titles and positions removed. With my uncle dead, I am automatically the next king. Although the official crowing ceremony is next week. But without support, the rest of the traitorous council have no way of opposing me". Caspian took a deep breath, trying to calm his frustration and anger over the betrayal of his council. Otto reminded himself that these were men who had watched Caspian grow up. It must sting.

"Now you can make a new council of narnians and telmarines", Otto said. Caspian nodded and the two of them fell into step. Caspian began talking about his plans for the future of the city. A grin lit up his face as he began gesturing wildly, as if he was physically creating a plan in the air for Otto to see. He wanted narnian's and humans to coexist. Otto listened eagerly to his plans, blow away by the sheer hope and care Caspian had for his kingdom. As they walked down tower steps back to the main courtyard, Otto felt the back of his hand brush Caspian's. The new king smiled and gently took it, holding it lightly enough that Otto could pull away at any time. Otto pointedly did not look at their clasped hands, ears burning. But he squeezed Caspian's fingers. The other squeezing back.