18

"They've spotted us!" Lucy called urgently. Otto gritted his teeth and urged the stallion to go faster. Behind them the sounds of four sets of hooves was audible. Miraz must of deployed scouts through the forest. Just their luck. They hadn't expected for them to be patrolling so near enemy territory. But Otto had been warned of this. Luckily there was only four of them.

The forest flew past in a blur of trees as they galloped onwards. Otto steered the stallion down in a mini valley at the side of a hill. Turning his head, he could see the four soldiers gallop over the hill. The steel of their armour glinted in the light and Otto cursed under his breath. Behind him Lucy clung tighter, ducking her head into his shoulder as the stallion galloped on. The black horse steadfast and unnerved. The soldiers vanished between the trees and Otto estimated that they had fallen behind.

He kept the horse galloping through the valley. He had no idea where he was going but something was drawing him deeper into the woods. Something instinctual telling him when to turn and where to steer. "Duck!" Otto ordered. Both of them bent forwards as a low tree branch brushed over their heads. There was a shout as one of the unsuspecting soldiers fell prey to the trap.

"There's still three more!" Lucy called. Otto huffed in annoyance.

He pulled the stallion to a abrupt stop behind a small coppice of trees. Lucy gasped as he quickly dismounted and handed her the reins. "Sorry Lucy", he said grimly. "You're going to have to go alone after all".

"But Otto!" Lucy yelped in protest, opening her mouth to say more. Otto smacked the stallion on the leg before she could finish. It bolted into a gallop. Lucy's small silhouette disappearing between the trees and hopefully to Aslan's safety.  

Now alone, Otto swung the spear off of his back and gripped it with both hands. He waited, the point of his spear pointed towards the forest floor as he settled into a fighting position. The bumpiness of riding had made his still there bruises throb. Otto ignored them and kept his eyes on the woods they had just galloped through. It didn't take longe before the glint of steel was visible.

Otto counted his lucky stars that the soldiers were only armed with swords. If they had crossbows then he would probably be dead already. As soon as the first solider was within distance, Otto raised his spear and stuck it at the man's face before he had a chance to swing his sword. The man fell off his horse, hitting the earth with a thud as his horse fled into the trees. The other two soldiers circled Otto warily. Having learned from the fall of their comrade, they kept a infuriating distance.

Otto glared at then. He spun the spear fluidly from hand to hand in a circle round his body as he watched the men. One tried to gallop nearer. Otto spun the point of his spear near the horse's eye. The animal reared up on its hind legs, neighing in surprise. Otto had to jerk back to avoid its kicking hooves. As the man tried to regain control of his animal, the other solider rode behind Otto. There was The screech of steel as he unsheathed his sword. He charged and raised his sword up above his head, aiming to bring it down on Otto's back.

There was a whizz of an arrow then the grunt as it met flesh. Otto turned just in time to see the solider drop his sword and fall off his horses. An arrow sticking out of his chest. Otto turned back to the soldier he was fighting. He darted round the horse and speared the man under the arm. There was a cry of pain before he too was falling to the forest floor. The soldier's horses fleeing into the forest.

"Did you follow us?" Otto asked teasingly as Caspian trotted into the clearing. The black haired prince was astride a dark brown horse, one hand holding a fired crossbow. He grinned down at Otto unashamedly.

"Had a feeling you would need a hand". He held out an arm. Otto retried his spear to his back and too it. With Caspian's help, Otto swung up into the saddle behind him. His arms naturally coming to encircle Caspian's waist.

"I can look after myself you know", Otto mumbled as he rested his forehead against Caspian's shoulder. The prince laughed. Otto could feel the rumble of his chest.

"I know. Call me protective but I was worried".

Otto felt his ears tinge pink. He coughed. "Thank you, for worrying I mean. Shouldn't we get back and help Peter?"

Caspian kicked the horse into a gallop and they took off back down the trail Otto had just travelled. Otto clung tightly to Caspian's waist as they rode. Holding on for stability as the horse thundered through the trees. He could feel the other's warmth through the thin patches of shirt that was not covered by his breastplate. Otto couldn't help himself but cling just a tiny bit tighter.

They rode out of the forest and round the front of the temple just in time to see Peter stand up. The duel was taking place in the circle of small ruins a few hundred yards before the temple. It was almost equal distance between the telmarine armies and the narnian's. Peter was decked out in full silver armour, a red vest over his breast plate with his customary symbol of the gold lion. Miraz was in flashy gold armour. His helmet a image of his face.

Peter looked over his shoulder and spotted Caspian and Otto. He said something to Miraz and the two men began walking back to their own sides. Edmund stepping up to help Peter. The blonde boy was limping slightly and had a impressive bruise blooming on his jawline. Otto dismounted and jogged over.

"Lucy?" Was the first thing Peter asked.

"She got through", Otto replied. He glanced at Caspian. The prince standing at his side. "With a little help".

"Thank you", Peter nodded at Caspian. The prince smiled slightly and nodded back.

Otto glanced back at the ranks or narnians watching the duel. Susan was visible on the levels above the temple entrance. The red of her arrows and the colour of her dress making her easy to pick out. She waved and Otto waved back. "Keep smiling", he suggested. The narnians were murmuring anxiously.

Peter brushed his hair out of his face and forced a grin, holding his sword up high. The narnians all cheered. Then he turned and his smile dropped. "My shield arm", he grunted through gritted teeth. Edmund and Otto helped him sit down on a old stone. Peter giving a cry of pain as Edmund pulled the shield out of his grip.

"I think it's dislocated", Otto muttered. His hands feeling Peter's shoulder through the armour. Edmund sighed and took the arm in his grip.

"What do you think happens in the real world if we die here?" Peter asked. Edmund didn't answer.

"I've been asking myself that since we've got here", Otto grinned. Peter huffed and laugh and rolled his eyes. His gaze alighted on the stitched up cut on Otto's cheek.

"You know I never really appreciated you, both of you", he began. Edmund wisely chose that point to shove Peter's arm back in it's socket. Peter broke of with a fierce grunt of pain.

"Save it for later", Edmund ordered, patting his older brother on the back.

"Yeah Pevensie", Otto teased, patting Peter on the other shoulder. "Don't get all soft on me now. Especially not before a battle. Honestly". He rolled his eyes and Peter chuckled.

The blonde stood up and picked up his shield, mood obviously lifted. Edmund handed him his sword. "You ready?" He asked. All of them staring across the stone circle to where Miraz was watching.

"As I'll ever be", Peter muttered. He gave them a smile before stepping into the ring. Otto stepped back to Caspian's side to watch nervously. Edmund keeping a hand on his sword hilt.

In the background, the two armies cheered as the duel resumed.

Unedited