24

Otto stood at Peter's side on the stone platform, overlooking the courtyard around him. Before him stood the citizens of Narnia. Human and narnian mixed together as they looked up at their kings and queens. Behind him, stood Glenstorm and various other generals and at his side were the rest of the Pevensie siblings. Aslan was too his left. Regal head held high. Otto was watching Caspian as the king stood above his people.

Caspian was standing tall. He carried a air of dignity and importance which he had lacked when Otto first met him. He looked over at his people as a king, but also with kindness and understanding. Otto couldn't help but remember the boy he had met in the woods. Caspian had been nervous and full of self doubt, easily letting Peter take control and anxious about his ability to command. Now Otto could see how he had grown confidence within himself. Caspian spoke loudly and clearly. His tone holding authority but not harsh.

"I understand that there have been a lot of new changes and rumours", Caspian stated. The crowd shuffled as the humans murmured silently. Caspian surveyed them all calmly, ignoring any angry looks. "What I say is the truth. My uncle, Miraz, murdered my father and tried to have me killed". The noise of the crowd rose in disbelief. Caspian continued. "I fled to the woods and was given sanctuary by the narnians. In return for their help at reclaiming my birthright, I acknowledge them as true citizens of narnia. They are as welcome here as you and me. In further support of our unified kingdom, I acknowledge their kings and queens".

Caspian turned and smiled at them. He gestured to them all in turn. "Queen Lucy, King Edmund, Queen Susan, King Peter". Lucy and Susan both curtsied to the crowd while Peter and Edmund both bowed. Caspian smiled wider as he got to Otto, his gaze warm. "And King Otto".

Otto flushed in embarrassment as he bowed. The sudden title feeling uncomfortable and heavy. He could feel the crowd's stare on him. Their gazes were confused and annoyed. By the looks of things, most of them were accepting of the sudden changes. But there were still those groups of people who staring at Otto and the Pevensies with undisguised anger.

"They are just as much your ruler as I am", Caspian's voice was firm. "I expect you all to show them the same respect you show me". There was a few more nervous jitters but the steel in Caspian's eyes quelled them into silence.

"Narnia belongs to the narnians just as much as us", Caspian called. "Those who wish to stay are welcome too. But those who wish to leave will be returned to the home of our forefathers. You will be given a chance at a new life with my support. There is no shame in this and I hold no anger towards any of you".

"But we've always lived here!" A man shouted. More voices of complaint rose up.

"It's been generations since we left Telmont", another man protested.

Aslan stepped forwards and shook his mane. The noise died down. Otto wasn't sure if the crowd were in awe of the lion, or terrified. "We are not referring to Telmont", Aslan explained. "Your forefathers were sea farming briggons, pirate who had been washed ashore in a storm. They found a rare cave that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and Queens". Aslan nodded at the Pevensie children. Otto shared confused looks with them, surprised at the information.

"It is that island I can return you", Aslan continued. He smiled gently at the crowd. "It is as good place as any for those who wish to make a new start".

The crowd was silent with nervous energy.

"I wish to go", a female voice called. A woman stepped up onto the podium. She was of middle age, wearing ornate clothes. But she looked worn. In her arms was a sleeping baby. The child bundled up in warm cloths. Behind her, four men accompanied her. Otto recognised three of the men as members of Miraz's council. The fourth man was the old captain of the guard. Aslan nodded at them and Caspian inclined his head in acceptance of their choice.