17

"The duel is a diversion", Peter stated clearly the next morning. The dawn light was just rising over the temple and the forest, tinging the trees with a golden glow. Otto was sat on the soft dewey grass with Caspian and the Pevensie children. He shielded his eyes against the brightness. The duel was arranged to be at noon. Only in a few short hours.

"What made you change your mind?" He asked.

Peter, who had sprawled out on the grass next to him, huffed and leaned forwards. "Lucy was right", he admitted. Lucy gave him a smile. "We need to place our trust in him. The plan is to use the duel to give Lucy some time".

"It's not like Miraz will keep his end of the bargain if he loses", Caspian scowled. The prince was watching the forest where the Telmarines were camped with a frown.

"Lucy and Susan will go and search for Aslan. In the meantime we are to hold the army off as long as possible", Peter continued.

"I think I should go", Otto suggested.

"But you're still injured", Lucy protested, face full of concern.

Otto smiled with half his mouth, taking care not to tug at the stitches in his cheek. The slave that Harth had applied last night seemed to have worked wonders. His bruising had lessened and the swelling had faded. It was only the cut in his cheek that was still bothering him. That and sore muscles, but he didn't feel as bad as the night before. "I know but I feel much better", he reassured. "Besides I think I dreamt of him, Aslan. It was back when I was held captive. I think I might be able to help Lucy more than I could here". He tried to give a confidant expression but judging from all their expressions, they were still concerned.

Caspian met Otto's gaze, holding it for a minute. It was like he was searching for something. Otto tried not to let his cheeks burn. He had woken that morning with Caspian's pallet pressed alongside his. The prince's sleeping face mere inches away and one of his arms swung over Otto's stomach. Caspian had been so peaceful in his sleep. Otto had fought the urge to hug him back, feelings hitting him full force. He had luckily been able to move out of his embrace and escape before the prince had woken, but it was still awkward. It felt like Caspian's presence was a alert that kept blaring in Otto's head. Not like he hadn't noticed the prince before. Now it was getting embarrassing.

"I agree with him", Caspian spoke up, turning his gaze away after what seemed like an age. "Susan will be much more useful here with our archers. If this dissolves into a full battle before Lucy returns, we would need her help".

"But Otto doesn't even have a weapon", Edmund objected as he lent against the stone wall. He crossed his arms.

"I'm sure we can find him something", Susan smiled at Otto. Looking just like a queen in the morning sun. "I'm sure there's another spear somewhere".

Otto laughed and pushed himself to his feet. He was grateful these were his friends. "Thank god I grew up in the countryside".

——

Otto could hear the cheering echoing through the tunnels as Edmund and Peter left to face Miraz. Under him, he felt the black stallion shift nervously. Lucy tightened her arms around his waist. Her body small behind him. Below them, Caspian tightened the saddle straps. He looked up, face lit by the tunnel's torches. It made his tanned shin golden and his eyes dark.

"He has served me well", Caspian commented as he rubbed his hand along the stallion's neck. The horse shook its head with a snort and Otto grinned. He had always been fond of horses. "You'll be in good hands".

"Or hooves", Lucy joked. Caspian chuckled and Otto wanted to map the shape of it with his fingers. The thought made his cheeks burn even more. Where had his composure gone? It had flow out of the window after last night.

Caspian looked up, watching Otto's face with a unusual vulnerability. His eyes were soft and concerned. "Be careful Otto. Don't scare me like that again, please". His voice faded to a whisper on the last word. He reached up and Cupped one of Otto's hands in his own. Otto couldn't drag his gaze away from Caspian's.

"Don't worry", Otto smiled slightly. He squeezed Caspian's fingers. "You're not getting rid of me that easily". He gestured to the new spear attached to his back, pressed between him and Lucy. It wasn't as ornate as the one Peter had given him. This one was a plain forged diamond point on a plain wooden shaft. But it would do. He also had a new breastplate and a new set of boots on his feet.

Caspian smiled and squeezed Otto's hand back. He lifted it up and pressed the back of it to his lips. It was a soft touch, like butterfly wings. Otto was sure that his face was blazing. "Just be safe. You're bruises are still not fully healed", Caspian muttered gently. He let go and Otto had to grip the reins. The feel of them in his palm keeping him from combusting.

"You maybe a prince", Otto smirked, pushing his shyness down. "But don't doubt a knight". With that, he kicked the stallion into a gallop. They charged down the stone corridors towards the small exit at the back of the temple. The sound of horse hooves echoing around them as they left Caspian behind.

"Swooning", Lucy giggled behind him.

"Shut up", Otto retorted, the blush returning full force.

"Fairytale prince", Lucy sang. "Otto and Caspian sitting in a tree. K. I. S. S. I. N. G".

"Your majesty", Otto snarked. "Shush or I'll steer us into a tree". Lucy giggled but fell silent. The red of Otto's ears bright even in the torchlight.

Unedited