22

Caspian rode into the city with the Pevensie children on either side of him at the head of the narnian army. Aslan walking before them. Otto rode just behind with Caspian's tutor, happily letting the others over shadow him ahead. Citizens watched from the streets as they paraded past. Most had recognised Caspian's face and were whispering and pointing. Otto was pleased to see that some were cheering Caspian's return. But the majority of the civilians were watching the narnians with fearful surprise.

When they reached the castle the servants came running out. They were visibly grateful for Caspian's return and obeyed his orders easily. Otto was led to a room and a steaming bath was drawn up. The room was obviously a guest room. With soft rugs on the stone floor and a double four poster bed next to the wall. Otto almost fell asleep in the water, it was so relaxing. Once he had washed and put on night clothes more servants appeared with food. Otto would have normally been embarrassed by the people bustling around him but he was too tired to care. A young healer turned up and checked over the stitches on his cheek and the bruises over his body. He had pulled a few stitches whilst fighting and the wound was aggravated. The healer smoothed more herby paste over it and bandaged it up. By the time it was all done Otto was practically half asleep. He crawled into bed, burying himself under the mounds of blankets and curling up on the plush mattress.

He was out like a light.

He was awoken to a knock in the door the next morning. Otto sat up, yawning as servants bustled in. A maid drew back the curtains, filling the room with morning sunlight. Otto winced, trying to let his eyes adjust. The two maids left clothes for him on the chest of drawers at the end of the bed while the healer came over to check Otto's cheek. It was the same one from last night. A kind old man with gentle hands. He removed the bandages and cleaned off the remains off the paste he had put on the night before. The cut on his cheek was healing nicely but it would scar. Otto didn't mind. He never really thought of his face as very handsome anyway.

Once the healer had gone, Otto rose and got dressed. The trousers were a dark charcoal black. They were baggier than the ones Otto had been wearing before. He fumbled a bit but managed to tie the laces round the ankles and the waist, pulling them in tight. He managed to wriggle into the shirt too but the ties round the neck flummoxed him a bit. It was the tunic that was the most problematic. The shirt was a creamy white but the tunic as a deep sandy gold, almost the same colour as Otto's hair. There were yellow designs stitched around the neckline and sleeves. Swirls and patterns all expertly hand sewn. Otto didn't want to potentially ruin it. The sleeves were long and had laces from the neckline to the shoulders which he had no clue on his to tie.

He preferred the old tunic he had been wearing. The one Peter had given him back at the ruin castle at the very start of this adventure. That one had been easy. He just had to pull it over his head and belt it at the waist. This tunic was obviously for royalty and much fancier. Otto looked at it grumpily and abandoned it at the edge of the bed. Bored, he wandered to where the wardrobe stood at the end of the room. It was a magnificent piece of dark stained oak, lovingly carved. And empty. Otto pouted in defeat.

A knock at the door sounded and a maid poked her head through. She was a older woman in her late middle age with greying dark hair tied in a tight bun behind her head. Her face was warm though and bright, giving it a certain youth. "Your majesty. King Caspian has requested your presence during breakfast", she announced. Her accent was like Caspian's but slightly thicker. Otto grimaced at the title, completely unused to being treated like a royal. The maid took one look at his half dressed state and the tunic on the bed. She stepped inside and closed the door.

"Would you like some assistance in getting dressed your majesty?" She offered, kindly taking pity on him.

"Yes please", Otto smiled sheepishly. "I have never worn one like this before. And please just call me Otto. Or Birch. What is your name?"