[1]

It started like any normal day.

You were out in the fields, picking harp berries as your mother asked. Of course, you were grumpy because around this time you would usually practice your fighting skills. But you couldn't tell your mother that, she would never approve of your self-taught training lessons. Well, not exactly self-taught. You would watch your father practice his skills, and then either the next day or late at night you would do the same things he would.

You wished you could have expressed this same interest with the other girls in your village, but they were taught that fighting is a man's job. Cleaning, taking care of children, and cooking are a woman's job. You didn't understand why it had to be this way, or why no one even considered changing a little bit. But you digressed.

When you were returning from the fields back to your village, a loud eruption came from the sky. You looked up to see ships, coming out of light speed and entering the atmosphere of the planet you lived on. You furrowed your eyebrows. The ships were all the same, and giant. It wasn't rare for traders from other systems to come to the planet you lived on but- something was different.

One ship was approaching the capital city of the planet, one to another village west of yours, and another ship to your village. You ran back to your village instead of walking, you had to know what was going on. It was definitely starting to worry you. Once you arrived you also noticed the equally worrying expressions of others. You rushed to find your mother. "Mom? What's going on?" You asked as you watched while she was packing some items for you, in your bag, and some items in your sister's bag. "You both need to leave. You and your sister. We don't have much time. Do you remember the ridge down south? With the really pretty trees and grasses, I want you and Delilah to go there okay? There are going to be people, nice people, who will help. And take this- the transmitter has only one contact, and answer it if you are notified." Your mother rushed as she shoved these things into your arms.

You weren't able to get a word out to her before she hugged you, and her tears welled, but then she pushed you outside to your father. Your sister was already waiting outside with your dad, she looked very confused, just like you were. You handed your sister her bag.

Delilah was much younger than you. You were just 19. Yes, you were independent, but you were earning money so you could live in the capital city, during that time you'd need to stay with your family since it was no expense. Delilah however, was only 7.

"Go, Y/N please." Your father said, motioning you towards the gate after giving you a tight hug. But he stopped you for a moment and whispered. "Be brave. For Delilah. For the other children." He said and you gulped, but nodded. Then you ran with your sister. Many other kids were running too. Two were your age, Manny and Harper. But most of them were either mid-teens or close to Delilah's age.

The grasses in the fields only seemed to get taller as all of you ran through it. It had been a while since you'd been to that famous ridge further south.

Soon as a whole group, everyone stopped running. No one would have been able to run all the way to the ridge. But at least you'd gotten a good distance from whatever was now at the villages. You were regretting leaving. You should have told your sister to run, and you should have stayed. Delilah would have been safe with the other older kids.

You saw out of the corner of your eye as Harper was talking to Manny. You remember being jealous growing up as a teen. Manny was one of the more liked guys in your village, and he was your age. But he seemed to like Harper more. Although, you'd gotten over the jealous feeling long ago. And you knew you'd find someone in the city when you moved, even if it took time.

It was nearly nightfall when the group reached the ridge, many of the younger kids were whining that they were tired, or that they missed their parents.

"Look! It's the valley. We've made it." Delilah pointed as she held your hand. The valley was beautiful, it always had been. That's why it had been marked as a sanctuary. You could camp out here, but buildings couldn't be made here. "We should start setting up camp, it's getting dark." You said to Manny and Harper. They both agreed with you and you worked on creating a shelter out of branches and leaves for the smaller children. Manny worked on starting the fire while Harper collected the wood. "Delilah, I need you and some of your friends to go catch fish for dinner tonight, okay?" You asked. She grinned and nodded before running off and talking to her friends.

Manny walked over to you. "Y/N can I talk to you?" He asked and you nodded with a smile as you finished fixing the last pieces of the well-built shelter you'd made.

"My mom, well. I don't know, she gave me this." He said. It was a transmitter, just like yours. "She said it only had one contact." You raised your eyebrows. You took yours out of a hidden pocket in your jacket. "I have one too... Do you think whoever it is who is going to contact us is coming soon?" You asked and Manny gulped. "I hope so. I want to make sure my parents are okay." He said and you nodded. You heard footsteps behind the two of you and you both hid your transmitters.

You turned around to see Harper stepping up. "Hey, guys! The kids are back, they caught a lot of fish. Tolula found fruit too." Harper said, holding a basket of fruit.

You smiled, "Wow, we'll have enough to feed everyone." You said and she nodded. You, Manny, and Harper prepared dinner for everyone. All three of you ate last, and before you all knew it, the children were asleep. You'd made 3 different shelters, there were 3 kids in each. The other teenagers, younger than you, slept in sleeping bags near the kids. But the three of you, Harper, Manny, and yourself, stayed by the fire. "I'll take first watch." You said, and Harper looked at you with a raised eyebrow. "We need to keep watch, make sure that whatever is here isn't going to find us too." You explained.

Manny nodded in agreement. "I can take the early morning. Harper can take first watch tomorrow night." He said and you nodded. You could see Harper wasn't pleased but she knew there wasn't any other option. You stood up, said goodnight to the pair, and made your way to a hilltop. You'd taken the liberty of cutting down a large branch from a tree, and then making a spear out of it.

This was normal for you to be up late, you always were, practicing your defense and offense skills. Which you did again, and this time on the tree. But you were quiet about it, not wanting to wake anyone up down below or attract any unwanted attention.

That's when your transmitter began to go off.