Chapter six

Both of the men had traveled together in relative silence, much to Jasper's dismay. He wanted to talk to Killian, but after saying something as grim as he did he'd dampened the mood. The silence was awkward, at least to him it was. Although, it did give him time to ponder about his strange new...were they friends? Jasper would consider them friends, but Killian most definitely wouldn't. A one-sided friendship. That was, until Jasper was determined to make Killian trust him. He wasn't sure why, but he wanted to find out what happened to Killian that made the younger man so hostile. Jasper had met hostile people, but never any this bad unless something truly messed up had happened to them.

"The highway is just up ahead." Jasper managed to say. "It's about time we left the city. Maybe we can find a gas station along the road that has some food or water."

"Hm." Was Killian's only response. Jasper would be lying if he said he wasn't frustrated by the lack of communicative effort. The man couldn't help but rest his gaze on Killian, his brows knit together curiously. When Killian noticed him, he glared in return. "What?" He said sharply. "If you like looking at me so much, find yourself a camera and snap a picture."

Jasper raised his brows, "Really?"

"What? No!" Killian snarled. His voice was scathing, but that only made Jasper even more curious. Still, a small chuckle rumbled in his chest as he averted his gaze again. Instead, he took a bigger interest in the roads. They were crowded with cars, and he immediately paused. Killian stopped as well. The place they had stumble upon was definitely not pleasant. It was the direct route out of the city. Cars were piled up everywhere. There were a few wrecks here and there. Bodies littered the ground, torn to shreds. Jasper saw Killian's stomach heave, and turned away as the other man vomited up whatever he ate the previous night. Jasper was disturbed at the fact that he wasn't at all nauseous like any other person would be.

An overwhelming feeling of guilt fell on his shoulders, so much so that it took his breath away. It felt like the sky was falling on him, crushing his chest. These people were the people he'd been taught to protect. Sure there were a lot of biters, but maybe if they tried hard enough they could have saved more. The man jumped as Killian's voice suddenly broke the grim stupor he'd found himself in, "You can't save everybody, Jasper."

Jasper cleared his throat, "Yea, kid. I know." He chuckled with a wry smile, "Survivor's guilt is a real bitch, isn't it?"

"I don't feel guilty." Killian said bluntly, stepping over a body carelessly. "It isn't my fault any of this happened, so why would I?" He pushed past Jasper, leaving the soldier standing there...just standing. Part of what the young man had said was right. You couldn't save everybody. But you could definitely try. Jasper glanced up when he heard a low groan from Killian, and could see that he'd wrapped one arm over the wound on his abdomen. The younger man's brows narrowed, his teeth clenched.

"You alright?" Jasper's eyes widened with concern as he stepped over a dead corpse and walked over to Killian, who was now leaning against a nearby car. "Let me see."

"Don't touch me!" Killian snarled with protest.

"Let me see." Jasper said. His tone was stronger, more confident.

Killian glared up at Jasper, his breathing turning to panting to try and relieve the pain. After a few seconds, he reluctantly moved his arm out of the way. Jasper knealt down beside him. He could see a small bit of blood through the bandage, but it wasn't spreading. Just to make sure, he gently shifted it to check. The bleeding had been brief, but he couldn't imagine how painful it was. "What happened?" He prompted.

"I just barely bumped into that side mirror on the car." Killian said. His voice was strained a bit. "But I'm fine," He added hastily. Stumbling back to his feet and using the car for balance. "I don't need your help." Jasper eyed Killian cautiously just in case.