Chapter twenty-two

Killian narrowed his eyes slowly, clutching his crossbow firmly in his hands. With his finger on the trigger, the young man's breath was caught in his throat. A young buck was twitching its short tail back and forth, its ears swiveling to and fro to pick up any sounds that could possible elude to danger lurking in the shadows. The animal was beautiful, Killian had to admit. Strong, majestic even. He would feel guilty taking down such a noble stag, but no part of it would go to waste. Even if Killian didn't eat much of it, he knew a lot of the group wouldn't mind taking their share.

It took the young hunter a few moments to realize that this scene was somewhat similar to the one he'd experienced a week—maybe more—ago. That felt as if it had been months previous. Time seemed to go by agonizingly slow in their new reality. Every day was a passing chore, a desperate attempt at survival. Pushing his thoughts away, Killian lowered his head and aimed the arrow up, holding his breath and pulling the trigger. The bolt pierced through the deer's eye, and Killian stood up from the long grass he'd been hiding behind. "I'm impressed," Tom chuckled, crossing his arms and shaking his head. "I thought we'd been waiting for nothing."

With an annoyed huff, Killian shot his leader a slight glare. "I wouldn't be laying in the gross for forty minutes if I didn't think something would come along to graze." He muttered. "Lucky Dominick finally managed to sit still where I told him to."

Chuckling with embarrassment, Dominick rubbed his arm self-consciously. "Sorry. I get impatient."

Stepping carefully around a patch of brambles and thorns, Killian narrowly avoided some poison ivy and stalked over to his fresh kill. Kneeling down beside it, Killian gently ran a hand over its smooth pelt, admiring the animal's lean muscles and strong antlers. "It's a nice one," He said. "Have to admit, I feel a bit guilty."

A soft sigh could be heard from Tom, and Killian could only imagine the large man shaking his head. "It's either the deer or we go hungry. You did well, Killian."

The young man beamed at his leader's praise, feeling his chest swelling with pride. "Bet Casimir couldn't have done better, huh?" Killian crowed, ripping his arrow from the deer's skull. "Or if he tried, he might've hit it in the wrong place."

When he glanced up, Killian could see the flash of amusement in Tom's eyes. The man's rumbling voice replied, "Go on ahead. Dominick and I will take care of carrying it. You can make sure no biters take a chomp out of us." Nodding once, Killian hopped back over the tangle of thorns and onto more solid ground. He mused over the sight of Tom and Dominick attempting to haul the deer up and carry it. Shaking his head he snapped, "Just drag it by the antler or the leg." With an exasperated huff. 

It didn't take long for the patrol of three to arrive back at the motel. As the small patrol reached the lot of the motel, Killian barely held back a huff of annoyance when Tom and Dominick dropped the deer to the ground unceremoniously. Dominick stretched his shoulders and felt the back of his neck with a groan. Knitting his brows together Killian snapped, "This is why I told one of you to drag it instead of carrying it on your shoulders." Crossing his arms, Killian nodded to Dominick directly. "Now, you're going to be the one to help me prepare this thing and dispose of the useless bits so it doesn't bring any biters knocking on our doors."

Dominick frowned, "But-"

Before the young man could complain and volunteer their group leader, Tom interrupted him. "Well, I'll leave you both to it. Just save some for the rest of us, yea?" The large man turned on his heel and strolled off towards the rest of the group, who were glancing at Killian and the deer eagerly. 

Killian's nose wrinkled into a scowl when Casimir proclaimed loudly, "That's gonna feed five of us at best. He should have brought back at least a rabbit or two as well." Casimir's voice was infuriatingly smooth, like silk. There was that charming smirk that gently tugged at the corners of his lips, those cold blue eyes that seemed to transfix anybody who looked at them. They weren't the welcoming, gentle gaze of Jasper. They were just as intense, but more ominous and menacing.