Chapter ten

Killian's vision was unfocused, his lungs heaving for breath even as he was out of the water. Jasper's voice echoed in his ears. He could barely understand the other man for a long few moments, but after a while he finally nodded when the water cleared from his ears and eyes. He was panting for breath, and it hurt. It hurt for a while, until he managed to vomit up whatever water he'd swallowed. His throat was sore, his body exhausted. He could barely speak. All Killian could feel now was the deadly cold that wrapped around his entire body.

Killian's brows narrowed as soon as he spotted a few strange shapes watching them from on top of the cliffs. At first he thought they were biters, until he saw the weapons they held. Biters didn't wield weapons, at least the last time he encountered them. Ducking his head, Killian was unsure whether it was a good idea for the strangers to see him or not. Jasper followed Killian's gaze up towards the cliff top.

Killian's whole body was shaking uncontrollably. He could barely feel the tip of his nose or fingers, and it hurt to move them. A heavy weight was set on his shoulders as voices echoed back and forth and his vision began to blur again. Jasper was talking urgently to the people on the cliff, who had suddenly appeared in front of them. Killian hadn't even noticed they'd moved, even when his eyes had been focused on the spot they'd once been in. The weight on his shoulders brought warmth, and Killian pressed his body into whatever they'd folded around him. The scent of fresh mint and spices filled his nose, and his eyes drifted closed as he felt a strong pair of arms haul him up to his feet.

It felt as if Killian had just blinked open his eyes after a long nap, when he felt soft blankets beneath him. His cold clothes were gone, replaced with a new pair of jeans and t-shirt, along with a large utility jacket draped over him. He didn't want to move. All of his muscles felt dead. It was pitch black, until his eyes adjusted and he could see the pale flickering of light against the fabric of a small tent. The scent of smoke and an intense warmth against his skin made his eyes widen. Killian jolted to sitting up, until a familiar voice broke the silence that was otherwise occupied by the crackling flames. "Oh hey, look who's joined the land of the living once again." Killian relaxed when he realized it was just Jasper. The man had been sitting right outside of the tent, leaning against a tree it was set up beside. "I heard you moving around in here, but didn't think you'd wake up."

A cold shudder ran down Killian's spine, but at least he felt warmer than he did before. When he opened his lips to talk, nothing came out. He winced when he tried again. Jasper looked up at Killian as he crawled out of the tent, and the other man's eyes softened. Killian just scowled at him. If he'd lost his voice, then he'd let Jasper know he was still irritated somehow. A glare seemed to do the trick. "Here, water." Jasper said bluntly, handing Killian a water bottle. Killian didn't take it. Instead, his gaze surveyed the camp.

There were two other tents, and a few blankets strewn onto the ground. Several strangers were up and moving about. One glanced at Killian, and he immediately backed up, his nose wrinkling into a hostile snarl. His heart beat faster in his chest, confusion clouding his mind. The overwhelming unfamiliarity of his surroundings was extremely off-putting. Where was he? Who were these people? Was he a prisoner? How exactly had they gotten him into some new clothes? Whose jacket was he wearing? "Hey, it's alright." Jasper's voice was soft, but put Killian off even more. "Killian."

Jasper's voice had gone stern, and Killian turned to look at his friend worriedly. Where were they? Were they in trouble? Did Jasper know these people? "We're back at my group's camp. They heard the gunshots and thought we were some strangers about to cause trouble." Killian heard an exasperated sigh from Jasper when he once again turned to glare at the strangers, who were glancing curiously his way. He had to show them that if they decided to push him, he would push back twice as hard. "Hey kid, if you're not going to trust them, you can at least trust me." Jasper said. "You don't have to be nice, but at least take care of yourself first."