Epilogue

Jasper's eyes slowly opened, and immediately he felt an agonizing pain in his abdomen. At first he was confused, then it all came rushing back to him. He'd been shot. Well, it hadn't been the first time. But it also hadn't nearly been this fatal of a hit before. He groaned softly as he tried to sit up. Somebody--he didn't know who--immediately offered him a helping hand. The pain was nearly unbearable. Part of him regretted waking up. But, of course, he was happy to still be alive.

"You absolute imbecile!" A familiarly fiery voice made his heart flutter as Killian wrapped his arms around his neck, nuzzling his face into his shoulder. "You absolute, stupid, dumb, idiot." Killian sat up again, his brilliant hazel eyes brimming with tears. A soft sob escaped his lips as he hid his face in Jasper's neck again.

Hesitantly, Jasper cradled Killian against him, tangling his fingers through the other man's soft, dark curls. He closed his eyes, breathing in Killian's familiar and comforting scent. It was a scent he'd never thought he'd encounter again. That was the strange thing about dying. It wasn't your life you were afraid of losing. It was the people around you that you'd never thought you'd see again, or get to say goodbye to. "Hey, Boy Scout." Jasper hated just how grate-y his voice sounded. "So, how long have you all survive without being graced with my presence?"

Killian pulled back, his eyes growing serious. "Two days. You were in and out of consciousness. Do you remember anything I said?"

"No."

"Good."

Jasper couldn't help but crack a small smile at that. Had Killian said some sweet things about him? His heart fluttered as he could only imagine what his friend had said. Oh, if only he could remember. That was by far the most tragic thing to come out of being unconscious--at least for Jasper it was. "So, what's the doc's orders?" He asked, running a hand through his hair. "Stay in bed?"

"Yes." Killian replied bluntly, narrowing his eyes. "And you'd better." He sighed softly, closing his eyes. "It's been hard without you, you know." Killian's voice was so dejected that Jasper felt his heart skip a beat. "They all hate me."

"Well," Jasper said after a long moment of silence. "Tomorrow's another day." He tilted his head to the side, "Maybe they'll change their mind then. But for now," He ruffled Killian's hair, wincing as he felt another sharp pain in his lower stomach, "Why don't you stay here, just you and me, nobody to bother us."

"Today?"

Jasper smiled. "Today."