Chapter twenty-eight

The hunt had been a long one, but an overall satisfying one. Killian and Jasper had managed to catch two rabbits and another pheasant. With whatever Casimir and Samantha brought back, it could be something for the group to eat. Jasper was guessing they'd either have a late lunch or early dinner, just so the hunters wouldn't have to go out again. Killian had told him that Dominick wanted to learn how to hunt. Hopefully the younger man was willing to teach him, because the group needed more people who knew how to hunt.

It wouldn't be hard for a large group of people to starve, Jasper knew that much at least. A small part of him resented having so many in the group, but by now he was too attached to all of them to even imagine kicking just one or two of them out. Even Casimir—despite the man's hostility towards Killian, he was a valuable group member.

The only thing about Casimir was definitely his hostility towards Killian. Whatever rivalry they had could turn out to be dangerous for either one of them. Part of Jasper wondered if Casimir had been then one to threaten Killian, but he wouldn't jump to conclusions. If the person who threatened Killian really was here, then calling out somebody—even if they weren't the right person—could potentially put Killian in even more danger.

Jasper already knew he would do what it took to protect Killian. Sure, the younger man was prickly as a porcupine and had a sharp tongue, but he was still one of Jasper's best friends. Between Killian, Tom, Darren and Aubrey, Killian was definitely one of his favorites. Although, there was something peculiar about Killian.

The younger man would never face Jasper head-on—it was a strange thing to notice, and he probably wouldn't have if he didn't realize how the others had talked face to face with him. Killian was different; how he avoided eye contact, subtle shifting of his gaze, anxious clenched fists and even taking small steps back. Jasper was sure Killian did it without realizing. With the others though, he was always aggressive.

That one night Cohen had to listen to Killian's lungs to make sure there was no water left after his near drowning, Killian admitted he hadn't been to the doctor's since he was a kid. Not to mention; Jasper still hadn't forgotten the vicious scars that laced across the other man's back. What had happened to Killian to make him this way? His heart ached to think about it for too long, so he shoved those thoughts away. He had a sneaking suspicion he'd find out eventually, but he wasn't going to push it.

By the time they got back to the group, it was late afternoon. Even crossing the lot of the motel, Jasper knew the others would definitely be hungry. Casimir and Samantha were back, and it looked like they had arrived a lot earlier than he and Killian had. The other two hunters were gathered in a small circle alongside Tom, Cohen and Dominick. Harley and Chris were playing a card game a few yards away, with Chris leaning against a rusted car smoking a cigarette and watching closely as Harley decided on his next move. Jasper didn't see Darren, Aubrey or Keagan. They must have been resting--their mission had been harder than Jasper expected.

Dominick glanced up as Jasper and Killian settled next to the small group. There was a friendly smile on the other man's face, his eyes lighting up as he saw Killian and Jasper's fresh kills. "I'll help you get them ready for dinner, Killian." He offered. Jasper knit his brows together, his gaze flickering from Dominick to Killian and back again. Had the two become friends while he was away? A twisting feeling in his gut made Jasper shift his position uncomfortably, something he hadn't expected to feel--jealousy.

Killian looked pleasantly surprised, although he didn't smile. "If you don't mind. But don't leave the insides so close to camp this time." He added with a sharp snap, "A few biters came around yesterday," He added to Jasper, who replied with a simple hum. Watching as the other two headed off, Jasper's eyes narrowed a small bit. He didn't like it, but he couldn't shake off that unpleasant feeling.