Chapter eighteen

Jasper's heavy combat boots made a satisfying tap against the pavement as he paced back and forth, his mind deep in thought. He needed people he could trust for this mission, but also people with skill and experience. Casimir was possibly one of the most skilled individuals in the group, a good hunter with intelligent observational skills. Still, he wasn't sure Casimir was somebody he'd want to bring along on this mission--not after their argument just an hour prior.

"Need some help there, Jasper?" The man jumped whenever a familiar, upbeat voice broke him away from his inner thoughts.

Swallowing back his irritability Jasper muttered, "I'm still irritated with you, Ginger. You and the the other dumbasses." Leaning against a large support beam holding up the canopy above the sidewalk. Crossing his arms, the man knit his brows together as a frown tugged at the corners of his mouth. "Being out of my sight for barely an hour isn't going to make everything you did okay."

A soft rain began to patter down onto the pavement of the motel lot, and Jasper let a deep sigh escape from between his lips when he saw how dejected Aubrey looked after his comment. She was speechless for a few seconds, her lips parted. Finally she managed to break her silence and responded with, "The only reason that was a big deal to you and nobody else is because you're way too overprotective." The fiery ginger crossed her arms, her nose wrinkling into a small snarl.

Jasper narrowed his eyes even further, clenching his hand onto his arm to try and hold back whatever anger could possibly be directed at her. Taking another deep breath, the man forced himself to relax before he said anything potentially hurtful to his friend. "Aubrey, I know I can be...overbearing at times. But," Jasper ran a hand down his face with frustration. How could she not understand?

"I know you feel responsible for my brother's death," Aubrey said bluntly. Those words rang in Jasper's ears, hollow and echoing. He felt a sharp stab in his chest, as if she'd plunged a knife through his heart. "You think because you couldn't shoot those biters when they first showed up that it's your fault. It isn't." She narrowed her eyes, "It's not your job to replace my older brother, Jasper."

Jasper felt like he could barely breathe. There was a hard, thick lump in his throat that made it hard to speak. He couldn't find the words, and there was a heat behind his eyes that he despised. Shaking off whatever emotion he was feeling the man replied bluntly, "I tried to get to Anderson, but it was too late. I had to put him down before he suffered too much," Jasper knit his brows together and stared Aubrey directly in the eyes, "I don't plan on letting that happen to you, Aubrey." Aubrey was quiet for a long while, leaving Jasper holding his breath for her response. The ginger-haired girl nodded after what felt like a life time.

"So, are you coming with me or not?" Jasper prompted. He tilted his head to the side, then blew away a bit of his tuft that had fallen in front of his eyes. He could've sworn he saw a small smile tugging at Aubrey's lips and a humorous twinkle in her emerald eyes. Aubrey relented with a nod, and headbutted Jasper in the chest to demand some attention. Jasper wrapped his arms around her in a big, warm hug. "Atta' girl." Jasper chuckled, tousling Aubrey's ginger curls. "I knew you wouldn't abandon me."

Aubrey stuck her tongue out at Jasper. It was definitely juvenile, and she knew it. She paused when Jasper's smile faded into an observational frown. Narrowing her brows together Aubrey prompted, "What?" With a broad smile and an exasperated chuckle.

Averting his gaze, Jasper rubbed the back of his neck self-consciously. An embarrassed heat found its way to the man's cheeks as he muttered, "Promise you won't laugh if I tell you?"

Aubrey punched Jasper playfully on the shoulder, her eyes filled with mischief. "Can't promise, but I'll try not to. What's on your mind, big guy?"