04

CHAPTER FOUR!

( BABBITY RABBIT )゚

( BABBITY RABBIT )゚
.☆*✷・.✧゚・゚.☆*✷・.✧゚

It would be a lie to say she had not been greatly affected by the loss she suffered.

It was different in a way to Molly's grief, so great and gut-wrenching that the woman seemed almost like a shell of herself for a while, only managing to make it through the day without breaking down because of her children, Arthur being her pillar of support.

Jacob's grief was a silent one, a very deep sense of loss that made the man more quiet than usual, rarely smiling anymore, and focusing wholeheartedly on his work for the first few weeks. Lucy was also affected, she might've not been as close to them as her husband, but they were important people in her life, and there was no doubt she loved them.

Her grief, however, had a sense of self-deprecation tied to it. Gardenia did not realize how much she had come to care about those two wizards until they had no longer been around. Knowing that she didn't manage to prevent their deaths made her want to cry all over again. She felt useless, what use was knowing things if, in the end, nothing would change?

In a sense, she knew it wasn't her fault, that the ones to blame were those that pointed their wands and uttered the killing curse, but it was one thing knowing something, and another to actually feel it. No matter how many times she tried to rationalize that she wasn't to blame, her feelings seemed bent on staying the same.

She clung greatly to Fred and George in the aftermath of the news, her attachment to them increasing more than she ever expected. They were surprisingly helpful, somehow they always knew when her mind wandered and ended up trying their best to make her laugh, and their innocent obliviousness to the world around them made it so she could almost forget about it all as well.

Time passed, and before she knew it, news of the Voldemort's defeat reached her ears.

The sorrow she felt for the Potters was not personal in the same way as for her uncles, but it was there all the same. Gardenia wished things could've been different, but that was something she knew changing would not work, so she settled for the next best thing.

Proving Sirius Black's innocence.

She had a vague plan in mind, there was not much she could orchestrate still being a toddler, but she would be dammed if an innocent man spent more than a decade incarcerated.

Not to mention, she didn't really want a mass murderer traitor living in the same house as seven children for twelve years, even if it was in Animagus form.

So Gardenia began to plan.

—⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅—

It was a cloudy day when the first piece of the puzzle necessary for things to work out the way she wanted was put in place.

Gardenia, being at the Burrow, where she was more often than not ever since the war ended and her mother felt safe enough to reopen her plant shop, was sitting in one of the well-worn couches in the living room, a baby Ginny by her side nestled in the crook of her arm, and an open book in her lap.