08

CHAPTER EIGHT!

( MISCHIEF MANAGED )゚

゚.☆*✷・.✧゚・゚.☆*✷・.✧゚

Even since she had realized the world she was living in, there had been this dream in the back of her mind, of becoming great at everything magic, and where Transfiguration was concerned, becoming an Animagus. But the truth of it was, and it hit Gardenia right in the middle of her first class on that fated first day in Hogwarts, that she was human, and bound to have things she simply wasn't good at.

She had never been great at Physics before, she was okay with the formulas, but the theory behind them? Might as well be speaking Greek. So it wasn't that big of a stretch that Transfiguration, one of the most complex subjects there was, was not turning out to be easy.

Feeling frustrated, Gardenia reasoned with herself that she could improve, get better, and eventually so skilled that becoming an Animagus would be easy as cake.

It took only looking at her textbook and the ridiculous formula in it(what was the point of one if you weren't going to use it?), for her to groan and put her head on her hands.

She took a deep breath, composing herself. Annabel was glancing at her worriedly, so Gardenia smiled at her and went back to trying to turn that damn match into a needle.

Maybe she would've been an animal like a sloth, unable to truly be of use in anything she would have to do in the foreseeable future. Being bad at Transfiguration might've simply been the universe sparing her years of hard work, a whole month of keeping a freaking leaf under her tongue, and possibly maiming herself, just to end up being a goddamn turtle.

Or she just cheated herself out of being able to fly without a broom.

She would never know if the way the match became silver and nothing else by the end of class was any indication.

"Professor McGonagall? May I speak with you for a moment, please?"

Being approached by one of the most lackluster students she had at the moment, McGonagall probably was not too pleased with seeing Gardenia.

"Do you need something, Miss Fawley?"

Gardenia fidgeted a bit, not looking directly at the older witch. "I was wondering if there is any possibility of receiving tutoring for Transfiguration?"

McGonagall stayed silent for a few moments, and Gardenia glanced at her face. It was unreadable, which did not help her nerves.

"I usually have to approach students about tutoring, not the other way around." McGonagall sounded surprised, or at least, that is what it seemed to Gardenia. "Of course there is the possibility, but it's just the first month of class, you needn't rush into getting a tutor yet."

"I know it's still early in the year, but if I'm being frank with you Professor, I'm at a loss when it comes to Transfiguration," Gardenia didn't like admitting it, but it was true. "And it's frustrating because I find the subject fascinating! But I have a hard time getting the theory of it, and when I try to put it into practice," Gardner shrugged. "Well, you've seen what happens, or rather, what doesn't."