Out of Sight, Out of Mind

I woke up at 10:30 the next morning. I was shocked that I hadn't had a nightmare. For the first time in the last 6 months, I hadn't woke up screaming. I guess telling Jaime had more benefits than I thought. It was Saturday, which make me so much more happy considering I had Saturdays off.

     "Good morning, beautiful," I heard Jaime say from the kitchen. That's the was the way a girl should be greeted in the morning, not the way Devin used to greet me. His mean, nasty voice came into my head. "Go make me some breakfast, bitch."

     "Hey," I replied. I stood up and stretched. I smiled at him and walked into the kitchen. I noticed he was making pancakes.

     "Here," he said handing me a plate that was already stacked with 3 pancakes.

     "Thanks," I replied and reached up to kiss his cheek.

     "So, what do you want to do today?" he questioned joining me at the table with his own plate of pancakes.

     "Hum, I don't know. You don't have anything for Pierce The Veil to do?" I asked. They usually had something to do for the band.

     "Nope. I'm all yours today, babe," he told me and leaned over to kiss me. I didn't want it to end, but Tony came in.

     "Hey guys," he greeted. He grabbed the last plate of pancakes and sat next to me at the table.

     After we ate, Jaime announced that we were going out. "We, my very attractive friend, are going to do something," he told me. I laughed and nodded. He was so hyper sometimes.

     He stood up and took my hand making me stand up, as well. He opened the door for me and we walked out of our building.

     "What are we doing?" I asked. He hadn't grabbed his car keys, so our choices were limited.

     "I have no idea. I just wanna be with you," he replied taking my hand. I loved when he said stuff like that. It made me feel wanted, which is a feeling I wasn't used to.

     We kept walking. Neither of us talked until he asked, "Do you want me to call you Alex or Dakota?"

     I laughed. "Alex is fine," I told him. I really didn't care what he called me as long as I had him.

     We continued to walk and we eventually made it to the busier part of town. There were already a ton of people walking around and we weeved though them.

     That's when I saw him. Devin sat at a bar stood behind one of the windows in a restaurant. My heart stopped beating and my hands began to perspire. I must have stopped walking because I felt a tug on my hand. Jaime had realized something was wrong and stopped walking.

     "What's wrong?" he asked. He walked back to me and followed my gaze. "Is that him?" he questioned. All I could do was nod. Jaime's stare became cold and angry. I had no idea what he was going to do, but he walked towards that restaurant. I was too scared to try to persuade him to just move on, though.

     He walked in still holding my hand. He looked so angry. I had never seen him like this before. "You Devin?" he questioned approaching my husband.

     "Yeah," he answered. He put down his beer and turned around. Jaime let go of my hand and lifted his fist. His knuckles collided with Devin's face the way Devin's knuckles had hurt me so many times before. All I could do was gasp.

     "What the hell?" Devin shouted. He stood up. My heart was beating  a mile a minute. All the other men in the bar turned to look at us. This was not the place to do this.