Chapter 20

As much as he hadn't wanted to, Adrien was glad he had listened to Marinette and stayed to have breakfast with his father and Nathalie. He hadn't liked the heavy atmosphere that had been hanging over them through the week and while it wasn't exactly comfortable or warm, it was normal, or at least the kind of normal Adrien was used to. Adrien still wasn't happy with how he had found out about his mother, but he was willing to forgive his father and move on. While his father was being evasive about his own illness, Adrien was pretty sure he had less time than he was letting on. Why else would he be going to such great lengths to make sure the company is secured? On top of that, Adrien was almost certain his father was hinting at a autumn wedding next year to coincide with Paris fashion week. Talk about creating headlines! While Adrien appreciated his father's endorsement of Marinette, it was leaving Adrien slightly weirded out how enthusiastic his father seemed to have been about it.

Adrien shook off his questions as he walked into the bakery. He had far more pressing questions on his mind this morning. The young model breathed in the warm smell of the fresh bread and pastry. He had been spending so much time there lately it wasn't just a second home to him, it was like coming home. Tom was busy at the shop front with a barrage of customers, while Sabine was in the kitchen. Adrien was surprised Marinette wasn't at the counter helping like she usually does.

"Oh Adrien, I'm glad you're here. Can you take this up to Marinette for me?" Sabine passed him a tray with a hot wheat bag, a glass of water and some ibuprofen. Adrien looked at the items and felt his heart sink. Sabine smiled at him and patted him on the cheek. "It's alright dear." She said. "These things are just part of life. You'll just have to get used to it I'm afraid." Adrien had to smile at her motherly ways.

"Oh, I know Sabine." He chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll take good care of her."

"I know you will." She said, giving his arm a light squeeze before heading back to the storefront to help her husband.

Adrien walked the tray through the house and up to the trap door. He stopped for a moment to take stock of himself. He told himself he was being ridiculous. After all, he had absolutely no right at all to feel disappointed about this. He knocked and waited to hear 'come in'. Walking through, Plagg flew out of his pocket over to Tikki who was next to Marinette on her chaise. They had been watching a movie on her laptop, but upon seeing Adrien, she sat up gratefully taking the items from the tray. After swallowing the tablets, she placed the wheat bag on her stomach, she settled back into the chaise. Adrien sat with her, taking her hand and kissing it.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, rubbing her hand between his. Marinette let out a little sigh.

"I'm not that bad really. I've had months worse than this, mama just likes to fuss." She said. Adrien nodded, biting his lip before asking the question.

"So...I guess that means you're not...?" Marinette looked away and shook her head. "Well that's good, I suppose." He continued, rubbing the back of his neck and casting his eyes to the floor. "I mean it wasn't like it was planned or anything, or like we were trying to or that we should have been hoping for it or..." Marinette pulled herself up and stopped his rambling with a soft kiss.

"It's okay Adrien." She said, rubbing his cheek with her thumb. It was then that he could see the puffiness around her eyes and unshed tears. "I was disappointed too." Adrien cocked his head to one side.

"You were?" He asked surprised and she nodded in reply with a sad smile. He looked lovingly at her, and it still made her heart skip a beat when he looked at her like that. "I know I shouldn't have, but guess I just got used to the idea." He admitted, tucking her hair behind her ear. "And I guess I kind of hoped it happened."