Chapter 30

The heroes sat huddled under the rooftop awning, shielding their untransformed selves from the overhead TV helicopter. Looking at Adrien, they were waiting for an explanation as to what exactly he meant by a super cataclysm, and why he looked so conflicted about it.

"Dude, is this some kind of power up or something? Cause I don't remember you using it before." Nino asked with a cautious eye. His best friend looked at him with a look that said he had just made a dangerous decision and Nino felt a knot in the pit of his stomach. "Adrien...Bro what are you planning to do?"

They could hear Lila still screeching demands for Chat Noir and Ladybug to show themselves, but her manic screams morphed in his mind to his Lady's cries in the night. It had been a little over a week ago the last time he'd had to wake her up with tears streaming down her face. The nightmares had gotten better, but pregnancy he had read often caused vivid dreams and they had become more frequent again. In her case though, the dreams were intermixed with memories. In the quiet of the night, as he held her to his chest, she started to babble about a super cataclysm that was powerful enough to destroy the moon, yet controlled enough that just one flick of his finger could raze a building. Running his fingers through her hair, he had promised that would never happen. Hawk Moth was no more, there would be no more akumas, they were safe, she was safe. Now, in order to save her life, he would have to break that promise.

"Father." He said softly, turning his eyes towards the masked man. "I need you to akumatize me."

"What?"

"Dude no, it's too dangerous."

"Adrikins, are you mad? Think of something else." Chloé pleaded. "Surely there must be other miraculous holders, get someone else."

But Adrien had already considered those options. Most of the other holders were either not currently in Paris, or otherwise not available. He had considered using Bunnyx, but Marinette had not yet officially given Alix the miraculous and Adrien had no intention of doing that himself. Marinette trusted him and handing out a Miraculous was the sole prerogative of the Guardian. It was a line he wouldn't cross. Adrien shook his head.

"No, this is the best way." He said, determined.

"Adrien." His father exclaimed, placing both his hands on the blonde boy's shoulders. "I can't do that. Don't ask me to do this."

"Father it's the only way." Adrien said with pleading eyes. "The only thing left after this is the wish, and if I use the wish there would be a terrible price to pay. I can't risk losing Marinette, or my son. You said you were here for anything that I need. Well I need you now to trust me and do this."

Hawk Moth looked to Mayura who was standing next to Sentibug. In her hands she held tightly the lucky charm bracelet Adrien had given her to house the amok. Nathalie had come to learn how much that simple gesture of the lucky charm had meant to fourteen year old Adrien. It had started as a symbol of friendship and became a symbol of love. Sentibug might have been a life size replica of Ladybug, perfect in every way, but she didn't have her soul. Despite the pained look in her eyes, Mayura nodded to him. Hawk Moth looked back at his son, touching the butterfly pin with his fingertips. He could sense that Adrien's strongest emotion was not anger, it was fear. Fear of losing his family. Gabriel knew that feeling well.

"Alright." He said, still unsure, but willing to trust.

"No." Alya yelled, grabbing the blonde boy's arm. "Adrien you can't be akumatized. Your emotions are all over the place right now and you're not thinking straight. What will we do if you lose control?"

"I am thinking straight Alya and I won't lose control." He promised her. He then turned to Luka. "You'll stop me before that happens, right?" Luka sucked in a deep breath.