Chapter 13: The War Against Unity

Lazzi, as far as his memories could serve him, had been battling people twice his size ever since he was a kid. The selection procedure for the position of the next Inheritor made him nothing but a soldier able to defeat anyone who came to challenge him. No one came to exceed his skills and wit that he became numb to the dangers of a battle. But today was the first in a very long time that he had felt that he could actually lose and die.

Ortus, in this form, towered over Lazzi who was already six-foot tall, and he was packing even more muscles compared to the Transference Ceremony. It was incredible how he managed to morph his body from just eating other human beings. Lazzi noticed that Veross' classmates who were assimilated earlier were looming behind Ortus, subservient like trained lions. Their movements were erratic like every muscle in their body is being twisted.

Lazzi darted his eyes around the place to search for a weapon, something to hit Ortus without risking having an accidental Bridging like last time. But he found nothing.

"Vide, why aren't you two running yet?!" he asked. His trembling hands were ceaseless at twisting the hem of his shirt.

Ortus roared and began to charge forward. The skirt that he was wearing earlier as a young girl flowed with him as he ran. Veross' classmates had sprinted as well in a zig-zag manner. Their arms flailing behind like loose ends of a lace.

"It's Veross, he can't even stand." Ophelia explained in panic. Lazzi glanced at Veross' Inheritor. He looked scared and lost, even pitiful. Lazzi sighed.

"Then warp him out of here." Lazzi watched as Ortus was now just yards away.

"I can only warp objects towards me, not away, remember?"

"She's right, she needs to Bridge with me to do that." Ortus retorted. He tried to grab Lazzi with his brute muscular arm but Lazzi quickly jumped away. His enormous size made him not as fast as he was when he was a woman.

"Vide, let's bridge!" Lazzi reached for Ophelia.

"Oh no you don't!" Ortus snapped. One of Veross's classmates suddenly jumped towards Lazzi's hand and bit him. Lazzi yelped in pain and punched the puppet away. Meanwhile, the others went for Vide and the new Veross. Ophelia's eyes glowed and her hands began to emanate a purple aura.

"Move away!" she yelled. She swiped her hand in the air and Veross' classmates were flung to the sky like leaves brushed aside by a storm wind.

"Veross, can you help us?" Ophelia asked but Veross was completely in a trance.

"Why are you doing this Ortus?" Lazzi asked. He held his hand that was dripping with blood.

"I'm glad you asked. I'm here to bring peace to the entire universe."

Lazzi scoffed. "Peace? Is this what peace looks like to you?"

"Don't you see? With the Obelisks distributed, humanity fought and created countless wars for it. If I had it alone, those wars would be over. If I have all the Obelisks, I can bring forth eudaimonia to everyone. I'll control everyone across time and space and I will eradicate all oppression and injust—"

"Hypocrite! You just want absolute control over everyone!" Ophelia argued.

"Just let me fini—"

"No more of your lies!" Lazzi retorted "How dare you justify your actions with peace. By doing all this, you've just created war yourself!"

"Oh, I see." Ortus muttered sternly. A look of exhaustion and disappointment painted his face. "So, you're declaring that this is a war huh? Fine I'll give you a war. But know this. This will be the final war, young Obelisks. The war that shall end all wars."

Lazzi's eyes glimmered like gold as he shook his head. Using his Obelisk, he zipped around Ortus with so much speed his foot created a burst of wind enough to blow away Veross's classmates. "Now Vide!"

Vide, as planned, used her displacement ring and displaced light away from Ortus' eyes, essentially blinding him. Lazzi knew it was his chance so he jumped in the air and threw a kick. With a momentum like that, that kick could be lethal. But Ortus ducked and punched him in the stomach. His brawny fist sent Lazzi flying up in the air! Blood and bile spewed out of the poor Shijian's mouth.

Ortus smirked. "You think blocking my eyesight could trick me? Amateurs. I have full control of my senses! I can smell you and hear you breathing. I could see what my puppets could see. You see, shiny knives would never beat a bloodied sword."

Lazzi was still on the ground gasping for air. He tried to stand back up, but felt that his ribs and back were shattered.

Vide yelled and used her Obelisk to strangle Ortus from afar. But one of Veross's classmates tackled her and pinned her down.

Lazzi tried to recall his training. What does he need to do in this situation? What was the protocol? Then he realized he wasn't trained to defeat an Obelisk. He clenched his fist and cursed himself. The champion of Kepler reduced into a pathetic dirt. He could buy time. He could freeze it for all eternity in the expense of his life. But would that be enough? He looked around for answers and only saw a meek almost naked guy.

"Veross!" Lazzi uttered. His voice was raspy and desperate. "Help us. Please."

"I can't." Veross shook his head slightly. "What-what can I do? I don't have...".

"Anything. Everything. Wish for it to happen."

Veross just looked at him in complete confusion.

"I know you've done it before. You know it too."

"I seem to have a miscalculation," Ortus said while walking towards Lazzi. "You see, I specifically created you to have similar ideals with mine so that you will understand where I'm coming from. Maybe it's time I should put an end to your arrogance, young Shijian." Ortus brutally grabbed Lazzi's head with one hand like a ball. Lazzi felt his skull would soon be crushed under the immense pressure of Ortus' grip.

"Veross please!" Lazzi begged. It might be his final words— a pathetic plea for a stranger to save him.

Veross, in panic, closed his eyes and when he opened it was already glowing an electric blue color. He grunted and smashed his hands on the floor which had created an earthquake. The ground shook wildly and cracks suddenly appeared on the walls up of his school!

Ortus wobbled for a second but regained his balance just as quickly. "Wow. That's the best you can do?" He laughed. "You have a lot to learn."

"But..." Veross gritted his teeth. "I didn't ask for an earthquake." Suddenly, the fire alarm started blaring inside Calvin's school and a mob of students came flooding the school grounds. They were all panicking and rushing towards the exit. Lazzi smiled and knew what Veross asked for. He mustered all of his remaining strength and punched Ortus' jaw, enough for him to slip away from the monster's grip. Quickly, he blended with the crowd of disoriented students. Vide pushed her captor aside and did the same. With Ortus still blinded and countless bodies had filled the hallway, Ortus was overwhelmed with his senses. His ears rang from all the incessant muttering of teenagers and his nostrils flared with all the different scents. His puppets as well had no use. He couldn't pinpoint anymore where the others were.

Lazzi went to Veross' side and pulled him up from the floor. Lucky he was not anywhere bothered by the crowd. "Let's get out of here." he whispered to their savior's ear.