Chapter 26: About Last Night

When Calvin had awakened, Lazzi was nowhere to be found. He rubbed his eyes away and tried to recall what happened last night. He was so tired from using his Obelisk all night to protect Lazzi that he wasn't aware he had fallen asleep. The first thing of course that he remembered was the kiss. He could still remember how Lazzi had kissed him— abrupt and sharp but tender at the end. Lazzi's soft lips sent him sparks of electricity that lit up his brain and spread to his body all at once. To Calvin, it felt like he was, for the first time, seen and appreciated by the world, that his voice can finally be heard. Lazzi assured him with that kiss, even for just for a brief second, that he is worthy and desired. But now, he was feeling dreadful, scared that he will never feel that again. Could he accept it? If Lazzi had decided that it was all a mistake, and he will be deprived of what he had just felt, could he possibly endure it? The sinking feeling made him stand to his feet, determined to know the answer now.

His eyes once again illuminated before he ran aimlessly. He knew he would eventually find Lazzi. But, at the same time, he was scared that he wasn't ready to what Lazzi would say to him. He continued to sprint forward, turning to any direction that the voice-like instinct tells him to. Go right. Then up that slope. He followed through until he saw at the corner of his eyes, a tall man with piercingly pale blue eyes carrying a dead wild boar on his shoulder. They locked eyes and both had stopped from their tracks.

"Hey," Lazzi greeted. His face was blank. Calvin couldn't read him. Was he surprised to see him? Perhaps disgusted as he saw the face that he kissed last night?

"Good morning," Calvin awkwardly replied. He was panting, trying to catch his breath, but his heart was still racing, both from the running and the anxiety.

Lazzi gave a short but hearty chuckle. "I think you should say, good afternoon."

"Shit. Did I sleep for that long?"

"Yeah, Cal. Anyway, I got us some food. Let's go back to camp?"

Calvin nodded. "Sure."

"Where were you even going, by the way?" Lazzi asked. "Running away?"

Cal cackled forcibly. What does he meant by that, he wondered? Why does everything he says suddenly unclear now? "No, I was...um.... just jogging, yeah? Training my legs. You know. Wait is this even—are you my Lazzi?" He was confused about the way Lazzi behaved. Maybe he was in a different reality after all.

"Yeah man, I am. You saved me from last night, right?"

"Right." Cal felt the rush of blood on his cheeks "But you saved me first. Are you feeling better now?"

"Yup!" Lazzi smiled and began to walk away, back to their camp.

Calvin gritted his teeth as he watched him go. He wanted to talk about the kiss. And he wanted to ask so badly if he could have some more.

"Hey Laz...about last night."

"Oh yeah, you were amazing!"

"Wait," Calvin's heart nearly stopped. "What? Really?" Calvin shifted and followed Lazzi. He tried to hide his silly grin but how could he, he was damn too happy.

"What?" Lazzi asked back.

"I was amazing?"

"Absolutely. You kept your Obelisk active for what, hours? The whole night? That's crazy! And you said you could only last for 10 minutes."

"Ah, right." Calvin's smile soured.

When they got back to their camp, Calvin was already losing his mind. He wanted to talk to Lazzi about their kiss but he was scared that it would make things awkward between the two of them.