Chapter 22: Training Days

Calvin's eyes were covered by a cloth torn from the hem of Lazzi's linen shirt. He stood by himself, although he still holds a walking stick just in case. His feet were now firmly rooted on the warm scratchy sand. Two weeks ago, he wasn't able to do this.

"I can't do this anymore Lazzi. Let's stop." he had said back then. He was near tears; his knees were blotted with painful red scratches.

"No, just a few more tries for today Cal. Come on." Lazzi whispered, his warm breath grazing the hair at Calvin's nape. His firm hands were situated right at Calvin's underarms as a support.

Encouraged, Calvin took a step. His legs felt like a twig that was about to snap from his own weight. Then he took another. And then another. Sweat were now pooling all over his body. Just as he lifted his right leg to move once more, his left leg gave up and immediately kissed the ground. Lazzi quickly hoisted him up.

"Shit Lazzi, I don't think I can walk again."

"What are you talking about?" Lazzi chuckled. "You just took 23 steps on your own! That's amazing for your first day.

"It felt like I took a thousand steps"

"Alright. I think that's enough for the day huh?"

"Oh thank God! Yes!"

Lazzi took Calvin's right arm and just like last time, he wrapped it around his shoulder. But to Calvin's surprise, Lazzi crouched, swooped him from the ground and carried him like a newlywed bride. Calvin flailed from shock but eventually he gave in. He knew better than anyone else that his legs were now like vegetables by now. He looked at Lazzi. For once, he couldn't leave a snarky comment. He just let it happen. He wasn't sure. Maybe it was because of shame that another man was carrying him. Or just that he had never imagined that someone would be patient with him like this.

"I'm sorry about your bruises. I should have supported you more." Lazzi muttered without looking at him. His eyes widened. How could this man say sorry to him for helping, he thought. How could this man feel that he hasn't done enough?

Calvin smirked. "Yeah you're the worst physical therapist ever."

When they shortly arrived at their makeshift camp, Lazzi gently placed him near the fireplace.

"Here, let me treat your bruises." Lazzi said before his eyes glowed briefly for a second. He then gently placed both his hands on Calvin's knees. Calvin jerked, surprised that Lazzi's hands felt freezingly cold. "Sorry this is only what I can do."

And just before Lazzi could stand back up, Cal reached for his hand but then Calvin pulled away just as quickly. "Um...thank you," he whispered.

Lazzi's eyebrow raised. "Wait, you're actually being nice. You said thank you. Are you okay? Stop being weird."

"Oh fuck you. What do you want me to say? Hey fuckface, carry me around better next time! Is that how you want it?"

Lazzi laughed and nodded.

Calvin flicked him off which made Lazzi giggle even more. He couldn't control himself and tousled Calvin's thin black hair.

And for the last two weeks, they did all that. From 23 steps to 35. From 35 to 78. And every time their session would end, Lazzi would automatically carry Calvin back to their camp even though at some days Calvin could still walk. Lazzi would still do it though and Calvin didn't mind at all.

But this time, they are training differently. Calvin could only sense the harsh sunlight as he stood there blindfolded.

"Ready Cal?" Lazzi yelled, he was a few meters away from him.