Chapter 32: Meeting Again

Lazzi, being so tall, was asked to do chores that required his height such as removing the cobwebs from the corners of Aling Apring's home. Later, he was tasked to climb the roof and trim the branch of the tree nearby using a bolo. Absurd as it was, he complied and skillfully climbed it with no hitch, even with the bolo slung on his waist. The problem was what he saw up there. Just a few miles from them, he saw looming dark thunderous clouds that were seemingly heading towards them. The way the lightning flashed like fireworks and strike at precise locations made Lazzi feel that it was no ordinary storm. Lazzi gulped. He knew Calvin needed his help. He needs to protect him. Lazzi propped to go down the roof but he stopped midway after hearing a commotion.

"Where are they?" a man bellowed. Lazzi peeked and saw a bunch of uniformed men, probably a dozen of them all huddled together.

"What are you talking about?"

"Someone had tipped us that the wanted men that Ortus wanted are in your custody. Just give them to us."

Aling Apring shook her head in confusion.

"Ma, they're after Berto and Johnny." Rita whispered but one of the men heard it.

"So, they're really here. Where are they?"

Rita stayed quiet and just glared at them. One of the men was irritated and yanked the collar of Rita's shirt. Before Rita could fight back, a fist suddenly came out of nowhere and punched the man away. Lazzi's enraged eyes were a glowing amber. Lazzi cracked his knuckles and grinned unconsciously. The soldiers were quick to point their guns at him. He remembered the old lady he saved back in Kepler. Still he found it ironic that these soldiers who've sworn to protect are the ones instilling fear.

"I'm the one you're looking for. Now leave these people alone."

"We will if you come with us right now!"

Lazzi glanced at the dark sky above, sweat dripped at the side of his face. "Sorry but I can't."

"Well, you know what? We don't need you alive. Ortus just wants your head."

He gripped the bolo hanging on his waist but before he could fully unsheathe it from its scabbard, someone drew fire. But Lazzi slowed down time and slashed the bullet using his bolo. Now, all other men opened fire and Lazzi blocked it all with his inhuman speed and bolo. The smell of gunpowder wafted at every strike of the bullet on his old steel blade. One man, the one he punched, charged closer and tried to shoot him point black. But Lazzi easily kicked the gun away. He countered, hit the man with the blunt handle of the bolo knocking him out instantly. By this time, the rain had started falling. Lazzi gritted his teeth. While dodging the bullets, he skittered his eyes at Aling Apring and Rita who was watching him with hope that he would make them safe. If he leaves them, what would they do to them? But at the same time, Calvin was out there.

"Enough!" Lazzi yelled. He pressed his fist together and made the flow of time completely stop. Droplets of water floated in midair, small bullets too. Lazzi hurried and struck the nape of every uniformed man as efficiently as possible. When he was sure he dealt with everyone, he breathed out and a cold mist escaped his lips. In a beat, the men fell to the ground like broken toys.

Lazzi shuddered. The wetness of the rain plus the stark coldness was not a good combination for him. He looked in the direction at the sea ready to go to Calvin but another batch of soldiers was quickly approaching him. Lazzi's stomach churned as he came to a grim conclusion. These men, he thought, were strictly guided by Ortus. They know that he cannot use his Obelisk multiple times.

Lazzi shifted his gaze at Aling Apring and Rita. Fear was evident in their eyes, especially Rita who was already crying, hugging tightly her mother who was just as terrified. Behind them was a growing number of the residents of the island, looking just as afraid as they were curious. He shook his head and muttered to his head "I believe in your promise Cal."