Chapter 15

I sighed, watching the trees we drove by. They all danced under the influence of the wind. Nathan and I had just eaten brunch at the Two Whales Diner, and it was quite awkward. Nathan tried to find something we could talk about, but I messed it up. I couldn't focus on what he was saying, and my mind wandered off into the weirdest places, so we ended up not saying much. Now we're on our way back to the dorms, and I guess that Nathan and I will go our separate ways once we get back.

"Hey, isn't this the song you liked?" I shifted my gaze from outside the window to Nathan as he turned the volume of the radio up. I felt the corners of my lips curl upwards when I heard the song that was playing. I began to bob my head to the music, singing along to Anxious. Sure, it was only yesterday that we heard the song, but still. He payed attention and cared. I looked over at Nathan who tried to tap to the beat on the steering wheel, but failed miserably. I began to laugh before turning the volume down slightly. "Nathan, you have no sense of rhythm, do you?" He just scowled jokingly before bursting out laughing as well. "I'm actually not that bad, I just can't keep up with the beat of this song." I shook my head, smiling. "You know, you don't have to tap to every beat, you can skip a few and make out a slower beat." I tapped lightly on the dashboard, demonstrating what I meant. "You hear those maracas in the background? Just tap once when you hear those, and then another time when you can't hear them. Like this." Nathan's eyed shifted from the road to my hands, nodding his head as I tapped. "Okay, I get it. Like this?" He tried once again, and failing once again. I just giggled before shaking my head and grabbing his hands as we'd arrived and Nathan had parked. "No Nathan, like this." I'd grabbed both of his hands in mine so I guided them to tap to the beat of the song on the steering wheel.  I nodded, smiling before looking up at Nathan's face, feeling slightly surprised when I met his eyes, his ocean blue eyes. He was staring at me, not even caring about the song, and neither did I now. He slowly inched closer, and for some reason I did as well. I let go of his hands, but kept eye contact as I did. Nathan then flinched slightly, causing me to do the same. He looked at his hands, and then at mine before shaking his head. I looked at his hands, he was rubbing them together. Did he feel cold?

"Alright, let's go." He opened the door, quickly exiting the car before closing the door, and before I could even say something. I just sighed. What was that? Why did I just do that? I shook my head before reaching for the door handle. "Alright, (Y/n), keep it together. You're loosing it, just behave like you normally do with friends." I smiled to myself. Pushing one thought to the back of my mind. 

Why was it so hard to act normal around Nathan?

I got out of the car, sighing before closing the door. "Well, I guess I'll go to my dorm and charge my phon-" "Go to your dorm and change your clothes, come to my dorm after that." Before I could butt in he left. I'm really experiencing some déjà vu right now.

I sighed when I got back to my dorm. I was exhausted. I was about to throw myself onto my bed, but I stopped myself. I'm disgusting, my clothes are disgusting. I don't want to get any of that onto my bed... I grabbed a towel, soap, shampoo, conditioner and a change of clothes. Nothing was heard when I opened the door to my dorm and walked down the hall. Everything was quiet. Weird. I quickly glanced towards Kate's door. Quiet. She usually spend her Sundays studying, so it wasn't that weird I guess. I wanted  to see if she's okay, even though my phone's dead I haven't forgotten about her. I let out a heavy breath, nodding before walking over to it. Hesitating slightly before knocking. "Kate?" 

Something was heard from inside, as if someone dropped something heavy and big onto the floor. "Kate? You in there?" Nothing was heard this time. I sighed. She must be mad that I didn't answer her yesterday after my phone died. She must've sent me a text or tried to call me as well. "Alright, Kate. I get that you might be mad at me, but just know that I hope you're okay, and I've been really worried about you. The reason I didn't call again yesterday is because my phone died, okay? Just know that I really care about you and love you Kate." Nothing. Not a single response. She must be really upset huh?

I let out a sigh before walking to the bathroom. It was empty. It was understandable though, everyone probably stayed up late last night since it was Saturday.

I got into the shower and quickly cleaned myself off, washing my body and my hair before turning the water off and drying myself with the towel. I furrowed my brows slightly. I have to buy a new towel, it was rough to the touch, scratching my skin as I wiped it across my legs. It had to do for now though, there was nothing I really could do about it at the moment. 

I put my clothes on. Underwear, a pair of grey sweatpants and a white sweatshirt. My eyes glanced at the mirror on the opposite side of the shower as I got out. A total bombshell if I may say so myself. I laughed slightly, shaking my head, I couldn't really tell if I really felt that way or if i just told myself that so I would actually feel that way someday. 

However, I felt better now. I tried my best not to look towards Kate's door as I walked past it, but I couldn't help but to look at it for a second, only for me to shake my head and quickly walking into my dorm. I left the hygiene articles in their usual spots before looking around in the dorm. I then shrugged, sighing before exiting and closing the door, about to head over to Nathan's.

There was this small nagging thought that echoed through my mind, telling me that something wasn't right, that I should go and talk to Kate even though she's mad at me and that I forgot to do something, but I brushed it all off. I knew all of those thoughts would disappear as soon as I met up with Nathan. 

Because that's just what they are, thoughts, nothing more and nothing less. Just. Thoughts.