f i v e

^ art by @/spacialrift on insta

~

"The Black Swan wants to talk to you and your friends." Edaline said in the middle of dinner.

Sophie nearly shot out of her chair. "Really?"

"Yeah," she mixed her bowl of mush in a circle distractedly with her spoon. "Something about post-battle decisions."

"Oh." Sophie slumped back down in her seat.

Edaline and Grady exchanged a look. "We . . . have been talking. And we think we know why you've been so down all day."

"You do?" Sophie asked nervously.

Could they have figured out? Was it that obvious?

"Because all your bodyguards were injured. Edaline and I personally visited them in Alluveterre and they're all going to make a full recovery. Bo, Tarina, and Sandor are already back on their feet."

"And Flori?"

"Flori is here at Havenfield, didn't want to leave. But she didn't want you to see her until her wounds closed." He shuddered, so did Sophie and Edaline. "She had gotten a wide cut on her leg, its the only reason she's not on her feet just yet. But she's restless, she wants out of bed, they all do."

Sophie pulled out an eyelash, "Yeah, I feel much better now."

Edaline sighed, "Come on, you should get some rest."

And, perfect timing, Elwin walked into the room. This time, his coat was decorated in small alicorns flying in front of a night sky.

"Hey Elwin," Grady started, already getting up. "Is there a problem?"

"I just came to check up on Sophie and how she's healing."

"Wasn't she supposed to be all healed by now?"

"Sophie stopped by this morning, told me she was feeling a bit sore. I just need to check up on it, but she should be fine."

"Sore?" Edaline asked, turning to Sophie.

"Just a little," Sophie said, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. "Elwin's just overreacting. I'm fine."

"You're probably under reacting, how long has this been going on?"

Elwin looked at Sophie as if to say You're on your own.

"Just since," Sophie had to swallow thickly before continuing. "Uhm, one day ago-ish."

"And you didn't think to tell us?"

"I didn't think it was a big deal."

Before they could argue, Sophie stood, taking Elwin's hand and pulling him up the stairs to her room.

Once they were alone, Elwin immediately launched into a list of questions for her. Asking if it had truly started two days ago. Or if it hurt when he did this, or this, or this.

"May I take a look at it?" Elwin asked.

Sophie nodded, lifting up her shirt just enough for him to see the long scar that crossed her torso.

He traced his finger across the scar, his eyes sad.

The air left Sophie's lungs as his finger traced the same path Fitz's had the night before.

Elwin must have heard Sophie gasp, tears brimming her eyes. He removed his hand, looking at her worriedly.

Sophie leaned forward, burring her face in her hands, she took a few deep breaths, willing her racing heart to calm down.

"Are you okay? Did I do something wrong?" Elwin asked frantically.

"N-no, it wasn't you." Sophie said breathily, blinking back tears. Her face was burning, her scalp itchy. Was this what a panic attack was?

"What can I do?"

"I-I'm okay. Just give me a minute."

And so he did.

He waited for Sophie patiently, occasionally shuffling his feet around the floor awkwardly.

"Okay," Sophie breathed as her breathing and heart rate calmed down.

"How long has that been happening?"

"Since this morning." Sophie answered quietly.

"Want me to look into them? Because I can."

"It's okay."

When Elwin went back to his checkup, he kept his hands away from her skin. Instead, he snapped glowing orbs around Sophie's torso.

"Hey Sophie?"

"Yeah?"

"What's this?" He pointed to a spot on her thigh that was covered by her dress.

"My dress?"

"Can you pull it up for me? Just a bit."

Sophie shook her head. She knew what he was talking about. She had only bothered to cover the visible bruises on her arms and upper chest, she hadn't touched the ones on her thighs. Not that that would've helped with Elwin's flasher ability.

His eyes softened. "What happened to you last night?"

I love you, Sophie.

Sophie closed her eyes tightly, trying to block out the phantom noise.

She felt his hands pressing into her forearms, his nails digging into the flesh. His mouth on her's and trailing down her body.

"See, this is what I mean, Sophie. You're not okay. And if you don't tell me what's wrong I can't help you."

Sophie shook her head. "I . . . don't want to tell you."

"Why not?"

"I can't."

"You can tell me anything," he said gently.

"Not this, not ever." Sophie stood up.

"I'm not going to tell anyone if thats what you're worried about."

"That's not what I'm worried about." Sophie said so quietly she wasn't sure if Elwin had heard her. "Thank you for coming, Elwin but I'm okay. You don't need to worry."

"That line pretty much warrants city wide panic."

"I'm okay Elwin, you can go home." Sophie wrapped her arms around herself, her hands gripping her elbows.

"All do respect, Sophie, you're clearly not okay."

"If Sandor were here, I'd have him kick you out."

"But he's not." He reminded her. "You have to let me help you. I know something is up."

Sophie shook her head, on the verge of another break down. She swiped at her waterline with the back of her hand before the tears could fall.

"I think you should leave." Sophie said quietly.

"Sophie," he tried.

She wrapped her arms around herself and turned away, already feeling the shame and regret rearing up.

"Okay, I understand. But if it becomes too much you have to promise me you'll tell someone."

Sophie meekly nodded.

"I guess I'll see you eventually." He left a couple medicine bottles and salves on her table—including a couple bottles of achey breaky, ointments for bruises, and a couple more pain killers—waved goodbye and then leaped away.

That night, Sophie curled up under the covers and wept until she fell asleep.

~

1043 words