s e v e n t e e n

the love of our lives keefe sencen by @/daceymaeart on instagram

~

The afternoon light woke Sophie up much earlier than she had been planning to. To no surprise, there was a blanket tossed over the edge of her couch, and Dex was nowhere to be seen.

Her imparter buzzed once, startling the last of sleep from her.

FITZ VACKER
Hey. I'm really sorry about yesterday. But I really do want to fix us. Call me?

She threw her imparter across the room. It hit the back of her couch and then fell to the floor hard, the screen going black.

"Woah- what'd that imparter do to you, Soph?"

She lifted the blanket to look at her cousin, groaning as she did so. "I thought you went home already."

"Still waiting on that big secret." There was a scuffle, and then he was picking up Sophie's imparter.

"Geez, you have a strong throw." She heard Dex mutter.

Sophie muttered an apology before pulling the blanket back over her head.

"Are you still tired?" Dex groaned, "The alicorns have been asking for you all morning."

In reply, there was only a small grumble from the lump on the bed that was Sophie Foster.

~

The rest of the day passed with a few alicorn cuddles and some attempts at pastries from an absent minded Dex and an even absenter minded Sophie. Retiring to bed seemed like a grand idea, but not so much when Dex kept her up to play, and drink.

"Nah," Dex's face pulled into a frown. "Too much flour was not the problem."

"Here," Sophie smiled as she pushed her plate over the sheets to Dex, many of her mallowmelt slices very noticeably burnt. "Try mine."

"Will I get a kidney infection if I eat these?"

"Just try them you asshole."

Dex picked up the center piece—the one with the least black on the edges—and gingerly took a bite. His face revealed nothing, absolutely nothing, as he lowered the rest of the baked good to the dish. "Not bad, Sophie, not bad."

"And your kidneys?"

Dex sighed dramatically, "Only time will tell."

Sophie smiled in satisfaction, taking a sip of her water.

Dex used the tip of his finger to slowly push his own plate towards Sophie.

"I'm not eating that."

"Come on! I ate yours!"

"Mine didn't inflate like that!"

"Yours was burnt!"

"That's not the same!"

Dex in fact was not able to get Sophie to try his mallowmelt, but they had enough to share between them, once they ripped off the burnt parts that is.

Dex snapped his fingers, "I switched up the sugar and salt again."

Sophie smiled. "Again?"

He swirled his cup of champagne, "It's not like you haven't."

Sophie found herself laughing again, relishing in the bubbly noise.

"Your parents aren't going to worry that you aren't home yet?"

"Nah, they have the triplets to take care of." He whistled, "They probably won't notice until tomorrow at best."

"Is that you or the champagne talking?"

He smiled, "Both."

The night continued as such, until Sophie was delirious with a lack of sleep and Dex was more than a little tipsy.

"Dex," Sophie said, "One more thing?"

Dex shrugged, smiling at her in that way that made her want to smile too, "Sure, what's up, Soph?"

Her heart was pounding, fear of him dismissing her made it hard to breathe. "Dex, I want-" She paused to take a deep breath to stop the nerves bubbling in her chest, "I want to tell you something."

His face stilled, becoming sober as he said, "Yeah, sure, you can tell me anything."

"Promise me you won't blame me. Just before . . . before I tell you I need to know you won't hate me."

"Yeah, yeah, of course not, I'll never hate you."

"Say it," Sophie whispered, pulling a large pillow to her chest.

His eyebrows furrowed, "Say what?"

"Promise you won't hate me."

His concern deepened as he said, "I promise I won't hate you, no matter what you say, no matter what you do. Best friends forever, right, Soph?"

She closed her eyes, finally voicing the secret that had been eating away at her for three years.

~

758 words
a/n if you havent noticed by now , i use the alicorns whenever i have no idea what to do with a chapter

also as you can probably tell, just a filler and all i really needed was the last bit so im not going to make you all read 1000 words of my bullshit