Family (Choni)

This was it, the day Cheryl and Toni were going to meet their new baby. Toni was going absolutely mad with nerves but luckily she had Cheryl. Toni had expected to be the calm and collected one on this joyous day. The one would be doing the comforting instead of Cheryl. But not even an hour ago Cheryl had been hugging the madwoman, telling her everything would be okay and that their daughter would like them just fine.

Daughter? It was such a foreign word to her. She was going to have a kid with the woman she loved. Three years ago having a child would have never crossed her mind. But a year ago she was the one who even brought the matter up.

She wasn't a kids person, well at least that's what she had thought, but then her friends had started popping out kids, and then suddenly she had wanted a baby. At first, she had brushed it off as baby fever, but the desire to have one just kept growing. So here she was sitting on the couch, stressing over whether or not their house was acceptable for a six-month-old baby.

"Toni, I promise everything will be fine. Dinah will love us and we'll love her." Cheryl said, pulling Toni out of her thoughts before she could worry anymore.

"I believe you. But I still can't stop worrying. I mean what if she gets hurt? That would be really  really bad."

Cheryl laughed and Toni gawked at her. "I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing because you already sound like a mother and a good one at that."

Toni took a deep breath. "God, Cheryl  what would I do without you."

"Probably go crazy." Cheryl pulled Toni into a hug and she gladly accepted it. Cheryl's reassurance helped more than a little, she was still nervous but then again who wouldn't be? They were adopting a kid for God's sake. A little tiny human being that would be completely dependant on them for quite some time.

They untangled from each other but Cheryl grabbed Toni's hand and Toni gave it an appreciative squeeze. The doorbell rang and they glanced at each other before getting up to go open it still hand in hand.

Cheryl smiled at Toni before opening the door and on the other side was a woman holding a baby girl with brown skin and curly hair pulled neatly into two pigtails.

She was beautiful. Everything Toni imagined and more. As soon as her eyes laid on the little girl all her worries seemed to disappear. This was the start of their family and she was more grateful than she'd ever been. And all this was happening because of the woman standing right next to her who she loved so much.

Cheryl was right, everything was going to be fine. More than fine really.