Chapter 12

Thor and Balder sat with Odin as he lay in his bed, barely able to stand. "Father, we've won." Thor said. "But that does not mean it is over, son. Surtur maybe imprisoned, but what of his sons? They will soon get revenge." Odin said.

"We will stop them, kill them even." Balder said. Odin shook his head before closing his eyes to sleep.

"Brother, we need to end this ourselves if we want it to end." Balder said to Thor. "I say we give them what they want, we should just let them take Senta. Loki wouldn't care."

"No." Thor said. "You have not seen what I've seen. Loki has changed, and it is because of Senta. The day she has stepped foot on Asgard, Loki has fought alongside us to protect her. He loves her, brother, so yes he would care."

"Do you hear yourself, Thor? What is all of this for, some demon girl? There are plenty of Asgardian maidens here, one demon will not keep Loki's attention. He will find some way to use her as a pawn, brother." Balder said. 

"What has gotten into you? You were contempt with the thought of Loki and Senta, now you say such things, why?" Thor asked bewildered.

"This war, brother! It has opened my eyes! Did you not hear Loki earlier? He made a deal with Surtur, to marry Senta for his freedom. You were tricked once again, and Loki is somewhere with Senta having a merry laugh at us." Balder said with grimace.

Thor furrowed his brow, thinking this through. Of course he didn't hear Loki, He was too busy trying to fight. Had Loki and Senta really tricked the whole palace thinking they were betrothed and in love? Were they even with child? Of course not, how would Senta have fought so well, the child would have drained her of her energy. "You are right." Thor said. Balder nodded with a smile. "They have tricked us, lied to us."

"You know what this means now, brother?" Balder asked. 

"We will have to kill them." Thor said.

 Loki woke up to pounding at his chamber door, Senta stirred in her sleep.

"Who is doing that awful banging?" She groaned. Loki got up, putting on his robe to unlock and answer the door. There stood Thor, Balder, and the guards.

"What do I owe this lovely visit, brother?" Loki asked. Thor glared at him, this confused Loki. "What is it?"

"You and Senta are to executed for your treachery and lies." Thor said.

"What!" Loki hissed. "Treachery? Did I not fight those demons to protect my love?" 

"You were protecting the harlot that caused this war." Balder said.

"YOU DARE!?" Loki shouted, waking Senta up. "Loki?" She asked puzzled by the screaming and why Thor and Balder were there. She covered herself with the duvet. Balder pushed past Loki, grabbing Senta by the arm and dragging her out of bed.

"Don't hurt her, Balder!" Loki said lowly, getting in a defensive stance.

Balder took out his sword, "Silence, Loki. Now watch your precious love die." He raised the sword, but Senta grabbed his hand, and twisted the sword out of his hand.

"Stop! What is the meaning of this? We've done no wrong." Senta said.

"Treachery, Senta! You and that scum I call a brother have lied to this whole kingdom." Balder said. 

"You will now be executed." Thor cut in. Senta flinched. "You two are not in love, you're not betrothed, and you're not with child." 

"No, it's all true!" Loki said, going to Senta and pulling her close to him. 

"At first, it was a ploy to set my father free, and get me out of a loveless marriage. Setting my father free was the worst mistake that we've made. But falling in love with Loki wasn't. I am pregnant with Loki's child, my mother confirmed it." Senta said, clutching the duvet tighter around her body as a tear escaped her eye. "Kill me if you will, but don't kill Loki."

"Senta, no." Loki said to her, his own eyes tearing up. How could she say such a thing? If anything, he deserved his death, and she deserved to be free. But he wanted her to stay with him, and he with her. "I will never give you up."

Thor watched in silence, torn. On one hand, Loki deserved punishment, but on the other, they were actually displaying love. True love. "Lady Senta, you would sacrifice yourself and your unborn babe for Loki?" He asked. Senta nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Then we will stand down, and let you both be for the sake of the babe and your love." He watched Loki hug Senta tightly, indeed, not letting her go and kissing her shoulders.

Balder grimaced, "This is a trick, brother. Father warned us." Thor shushed him, pulling him towards the door as he pointed to Loki and Senta, who were now kissing passionately as if they were the only people in the room.

"That is no trick, Balder. That is love." Thor said as they left the chamber to leave the lovers to their passion.