Chapter 9: A kiss under the moonlight

I looked up at the clear night sky, the stars scattered and shimmered like Christmas lights, each emitting its own mellow glow; it’s so rare for the sky to be this clear, it must be a special night. In the center, a silent persistent glow from the crescent-shaped moon took center stage. After the clouds had cleared, it didn’t seem as if it was already late.

Looking around me, the trees gently swayed with the night breeze; leaves fluttering around in the air, swirling and looping every now and again. The flapping of a flock of birds taking flight near the still water fountain caught me off guard, there, a murder of at least six crows that would have normally been asleep gathered around a wooden bench. The wooden bench aligned perfectly with the crescent-shaped moon, with the birds and stars, it looked like a scene from a story book. I would have almost not noticed the girl who was seated on the bench if it weren’t for her familiar pigtails.

It could’ve been literally anyone, but something in me told myself to approach the girl. I walked towards the girl sitting on the bench, trying to take a peek at her face. To my surprise, I recognized this familiar stature and clothes, who else could it be but Tsukushi. She was staring into the sky, eyes shining. They were also red, as if she had just cried. I cleared my throat, trying to announce my presence without scaring her, hoping I could help her out with any problems, if she had any.

“Hey, Tsukushi?” I said as I sat next to her. “What’s up?  Are you ok?”

“H-huh? Oh, it’s you, (Y/N).” she said as she turned to me with a smile. However, that smile didn’t seem sincere at all, it was obvious that she was trying to hide her tears, a smile like that was nothing compared to her genuine smile where the edges of her eyes would crease.

“Is something the matter?” I asked, smiling.

“No nothing...it’s just that...I couldn’t stop thinking about what you said earlier…” she replied.

“Oh, I see…” I said as I looked down and fidgeted with my fingers. “But Tsukushi, I told you that I needed some time to think about it.”

“I-i know...and I’m willing to wait for your decision...but I’m afraid…” she replied, trembling a bit.

“Of what..?” I inquired.

Tsukushi burst out crying and hugged me tightly. “T-that...one day, you might leave me..and be gone forever…”

“Oh Tsukushi…” I hugged her back and patted her head. “Don’t you worry about that at all. It won’t ever happen!”

“You swear?” she sniffled, looking up at me.

“I swear,” I replied, looking down at her, offering my pinky.

Suddenly, Tsukushi let go of me and got up, “Then I want you to prove it to me.”

“Huh? What do you mean?” I asked, also getting up and facing her.

Tsukushi slung her arms around my neck and looked into my eyes. “You know exactly what I mean.”

I knew she was genuine. She really wanted it. “Alright.”

I looked down, carefully caressed her face, slipping the side of her hair behind her ear to get a clearer view of her. She looked back up at me and used her arms to bring me closer to her. She closed her eyes and inched her face closer to mine, at this point we could feel each other's breaths on our face, not that I mind and giggled.

“Hmm, what was that for?” I whispered into her ear, slowly closing my eyes while inching my face closer to hers.

“Nothing I just-” she began, but quickly stopped herself, “Hah, forget it.”