Remember

Evelyn stood between Sophie and Tedros, Agatha right in front of her. Forced to choose between her best friend and her true love. Evelyn could relate. Poor Sophie. Thinking Agatha was torn, when really, she was just scared Sophie would attack if she made any sudden movements. Suddenly, Agatha ran towards her prince, and Evelyn could hear Sophie's heart breaking. Then someone appeared in front of her. The ghost approached Sophie, and held her hands. When she turned around, Evelyn's heart missed a beat. It couldn't be her. It couldn't be Vanessa. . .

19 years earlier. . . .

It was the eve of the kidnapping in Gavaldon. The two sisters walked along the lane to Mr. Deuville's , arms linked. "Ugh, look at them. " said the younger one, pointing at a young man with dark hair flirting with their classmate, Honoura. " What does she have that I don't? " she continued. Her sister gave her a gap toothed smile. " Are you sure you want him? It's clear he has terrible taste. " . Vanessa laughed at Evelyn's comment. " Well, what do you look for in a man? " . Evelyn rolled her eyes. " Oh Essa, you know I don't look for anything in a man other than that he stays away from me. " . Thee two girls walked on, oblivious to the cold blue eyes watching them . . .

That night, Evelyn and Vanessa left open the window of the room they shared. They wanted the School Master to be able to kidnap them with as little hassle as possible. " Goodnight Essa " said Evelyn to her sister. " Goodnight Edgar " said Vanessa. Edgar was what she fondly called her sister, because Evelyn had once written fake love letters to Honoura, always signing off as Edgar. The two sisters still laughed about it. After a while, Vanessa fell asleep, but Evelyn lay awake. She had a strange feeling someone was watching her. She almost wasn't surprised when she saw a shadow climb through their window. Almost. She jumped out of bed and grabbed the oil lamp beside her. " Stay back! " she whisper shouted, so as not to wake her sister. A velvety voice replied, " I'm not going to hurt you, Evelyn, or your sister. " . Evelyn was stunned. " Wh- How do you know my name? Who are you? " . She could almost feel his slow smile. " You know me as the School Master, but I hope you'll call me Rafal. I've been watching you, Evelyn. I realised yesterday that if I want to get to know you, we should spend some time together. Come to The School For Good And Evil with me. Not as a student. But as . . . a friend. I know you don't know me or trust me. But I know you and trust you. I've already sent a stymph ahead with the new Readers. Come, Evelyn. After all, haven't you waited your whole life to be kidnapped? " . That sentence struck a nerve with her. Every day since she could write, she'd caught a red butterfly and written those same words beside it. She must have had a thousand pages with a butterfly and those words on them. Rafal gently lit his fingerglow, a soft green. He illuminated her notebook. Then he shot a spell at it. Suddenly, the notebook flicked open and a thousand red butterflies came flying out. They attached themselves to a gorgeous white dress, seemingly made of the moonlight spilling through window. Rafal smiled at her. " Go ahead. Try it on. " he whispered, turning to face the wall. She quickly changed out of her nightdress, and into this new outfit. " I'm ready " she said, twirling for his satisfaction. " It's beautiful " . Rafal raised his eyebrows. " That's high praise, coming from someone as pretty as you " . Evelyn laughed. " Let's go, before Essa wakes up " she said, gesturing to her sister. Rafal wrapped his arms around her and indicated for her to do the same. They flew out the window, high above Gavaldon, the Woods glittering beneath them. Evelyn relaxed in Rafal's arms, not even caring that she hadn't said goodbye to Vanessa. . .