black coffee and acoustic guitar~ leggie coffee shop au

coffee shop au:
leggie (kinda slowburn?)
julieflynn
willex
4621 words

reggie was officially starting his first day at the coffee shop. he didn't really want to work, but he needed a new amplifier and his parents weren't going to buy him another, especially not after he ruined his last one trying to fix it in the rain. certainly not his brightest moment, but he'd done it before and it worked out fine- for the amp at least, he got electrocuted a few times.
he walked into the molina family coffee shop. about 3 months ago reggie had discovered the coffee shop that also doubled as a hang out and performing space for musicians in the area. he had been walking the streets when he smelled pumpkin spice coffee (it was very basic white girl of him, but can you really blame the guy?) and he walked into the decently large coffee shop, hearing someone strum away on and acoustic guitar. reggie saw the guitarist's 1990s style outfit and beanie and was immediately intrigued. what he was playing seemed to be the polar opposite of the vibe of the clothes he was wearing. reggie had never heard the song before, so he half assumed it was an original song. it almost sounded like a song about a past love and it had a beautiful melody, but reggie pushed aside his thoughts and went up to the counter and order a drink.

he did nearly the same now, except instead of walking up to the curly haired girl at the counter and ordering and he placed him elbow on the counter smiling, almost mischievously.

the teen turned around and saw reggie and smiled as well. "hey reg. ready for your first day?"

"hey jules... and uh no, not really. i know nothing about making coffee really, i have no idea why your dad hired me."

"he hired you cos he think you'll give us that bit of 'hometown charm' that we need... or something like that i don't know."

"do i give off country vibes or something?"

"well... no not really but something about you seems very homey. i don't know like someone you could tell your order to once and they remember it forever."

reggie laughed at that and shook his head "julie molina, you have a great sense of humor." he walked around the other side of the counter to join julie and to start his training.

~•~

it had been about a week since reggie started working at the molina's coffee place. he and julie would work together making drinks joking around and then help ray clean up at night and talk about julie's mom, reggie's parents, really any and everything they could told about.

it was around 1pm one day when reggie heard someone strumming on a guitar from the stage. the song seemed familiar but it also sounded like nothing he'd ever heard. he looked up from where he was making drinks and saw that same performer from the first day he ever came into the shop. he was wearing the same beanie as before and his entire look felt very 90s, especially the low cut sleeved tank top. reggie was well aware he was starring at the guitarist but he couldn't help it, something about the boy caught his attention and reggie wanted to figure out everything he could about the stranger just from looking at him.
he scanned the guitarist twice over, nothing very noticeable aside from the fact that he was playing the opening of another song on his acoustic. he stopped focusing on the boy and looked for the case the performer's guitar would've been in. reggie found it quickly, and immediately recognized how covered in stickers it was. some seemed older and and worn, like they'd been on the case since the boy started playing guitar, and others seemed newer.

reggie heard a slight "ahem" from the opposite side of the counter and he realized "oh yeah i should probably do my job instead of starring at the cute guitarist..."