Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"I did not tell my parents about the baby," Adam suddenly speaks as he steers the car carefully.

"Then..."

"I've told my brother about you because someone told him about me chasing after a woman in the office."

Liz winced, feeling guilty for acting in such a childish manner. "I'm sorry."

"It's no big deal, but I did not tell him about the baby. My brother mouthed off to my parents about us dating and that's why they want to meet you."

"I-I see."

The rest of the car ride was filled with silence.

They arrived at a nice cozy house that looks welcoming. The house was surrounded by flowers, with a little garden in the front yard.

After parking the car beside an old car, Adam wordlessly gets out of the car and Liz quickly gets out as well. Liz could smell cookies coming from the house and she wondered if it's would taste as delicious as it smells. Distracted by the smell, she accidentally tripped over a stone pebble that was placed in the garden to form as a road path.

Before she falls to the ground, Adam was quick to break her fall. He wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her to his chest.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his green eyes showed mild worry.

"I-I'm fine. Thank you," Liz stammered with a light blush on her face. She waited for him to release her but to her wonder; he did not make any move to let her go.

"Adam?"

Liz jumped slightly as she did not even notice the front door had opened with a woman standing in the doorway, staring straight at them with a warm smile on her few visible wrinkles on her face.

Adam immediately released Liz and she feels a little disappointed. "Mother."

"Come on in both of you. It's chilling out here." Adam's mother waved them in. When Liz stepped into the house, the smell of cookies grew even stronger.

Adam walked to his mother and hugged her in an affectionate matter that surprised Liz. "So this is your lovely lady?" his mother asked after they parted from the hug. She smiled at Liz and there was no hint of dislike towards her.

"H-Hello, Ms. Kingsley." Liz greeted politely.

"Just Myra is fine, dear. Oh, I don't know your name yet!" Myra gave her son a glare as if it was his fault.

"Elizabeth Candler. Just call me Liz," Liz hurriedly answers.

"Looks like Adam had picked a fine lady." Myra smiled in satisfaction.

Liz blushed slightly at the compliment as Adam said warningly, "Mother."

Myra laughed, not at all afraid of the son she had raised for thirty years. "Let's go to the kitchen. Your father is anxious to meet your lovely woman."

Myra led them into the kitchen, which was at the very back of the house. It was an impressive sight. The cooking equipment looked expensive and modern, but the decoration and style were more down to earth. Liz spotted a plate of cookies on the table with a large jar filled with warm milk.

There was a middle-aged man seated on a chair with reading glasses perched on his nose. He shared similar features with Adam but was older and friendlier compared to Adam. Mr. Kingsley folded his newspaper and stood up, giving them a bright smile.

"So this lovely lady is the one my son is going to marry?" Mr. Kingsley removed his reading glasses and placed it on top of his newspaper.

Liz let out a breath that she had unconsciously been holding. Liz could see that Adam's father does not share the same personality as Adam.