Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Liz had moved to a country hours away from where she was born just to escape from her past and even going as far as taking her mother's family name. It had been five years since then and her fear of getting found slowly disappeared.

But seeing the man before her was literally the same as getting a confirmation that every secret will not be hidden forever.

Liz took one deep breath to calm down, even if the action does not help much with her growing panic. In her mind, she was already making plans to escape from this place, but the rational part of her reminded her of Adam and her baby to consider.

She could not run away.

"Beth?" The man repeated with a worried frown. That nickname was only used by Terry Longbottom and it's been a long time since she heard it. That name came with bitter memories and it was one of the few reasons that caused her to run away.

Liz actually wished she could pretend she does not know him, but that would make Terry insist on knowing her and things will get out of control.

She cleared my throat as she forced a polite smile on her face. "Hello, Terry. It's been a while. What are you doing here, so far from your home?"

"I should be the one to ask that question. Is this where you are all this time? Everyone is looking for you."

"Please Terry. Don't tell anyone that I'm here or that you saw me," Liz begged, with panic could be heard from her voice.

"Everyone is worried about you. They searched everywhere for you." Terry looked troubled.

Liz sneered. "I doubt it. Just...Terry, if you even feel a bit guilty then leaves it alone. Pretend you did not see me and walk away."

"But-"

"I don't belong there anymore." Liz insisted strongly.

Terry sighed. "Beth-"

"Liz?"

Liz jumped slightly as Adam stride towards them, his green eyes filled with questions as he stared at Terry.

"You are?" Adam asked Terry, his confidence and arrogance could be seen from his straight posture.

"He's a distant acquaintance of mine from the past." Liz hurriedly introduced before Terry could say anything.

Terry frowned but he played along, holding out a hand to Adam. "Terry Longbottom."

Adam took it and gave him a firm handshake. "Adam Kingsley, Liz's boyfriend."

Terry's eyes widened in shock, his grip unconsciously loosen, which allowed Adam to retrieve his hand without thinking much about it.

Fearing that Terry would say something she does not want Adam to know just yet, Liz reached out and grabbed Adam's arm.

"Terry is here as a business trip and we should not take him time. Let's continue our date."

Adam gave Liz a piercing look while she faced it bravely. After a minute, he retrieved his gaze and nodded. "I will go and pay the bill then." He pulled out his car keys and handed it to her. "Wait for me in the car. Do you know how to start the engine?"

Liz nodded. "Yes."

"Good. Turn on the air-conditional when you get in. I won't be long."

"Alright." She waited until Adam headed to the counter before striding out of the diner without looking back.

As she predicted, Terry followed her out of the diner. "Wait, Beth!"

Swallowing back a groan, she turned around coolly. "Yes, Terry?"