Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Last night Cynthia had cried herself to sleep with Liz staying beside her. The only way that Liz knows how to cheer Cynthia up was buying her a pint of chocolate ice cream, and that was why she woke up at eight a.m. to head out to the nearby convenience store.

Fortunately, the convenience store was a 24-hour operation and there were already early risers around the street, easing Liz's fear of the silent street.

Managed to find cheaper chocolate ice creams, Liz picked two pints as Cynthia consumes ice cream like a black hole. She would have picked some ice cream for herself, but the weather was pretty chilly nowadays and it would be best not to eat them. She has a baby in her stomach to take care of.

When she was lining up to pay, a familiar voice called out, "It's really you, Liz!"

Blinked in surprise, she turned and saw Adam's mother making her way towards her. "Oh my, this is such a pleasant surprise to see you here!"

"Mrs. Kingsley!"

"Dear, what did I tell you before? Just call me Myra! Mrs. Kingsley sounds distant."

Liz laughed and obeyed. "Then pardon my rudeness, Myra. I'm surprised to see you here, quite far from your home to visit the convenience store." After all, it needed almost a forty-five minutes' drive to Kingsley's house from Myra's house.

"It is, but I'm actually here to visit Adam. I always did that every Sunday. I forgot to buy some fruit, so here I am."

"So that's why. Then I shall not delay you." Liz had a feeling Adam would not like it if she spends more time with Myra so it would be better to leave quickly.

"Oh no! Not at all! Please wait for me. I would love to talk to you longer."

"I..."

"Do spend some time with me. Adam hardly talks much to me and spending a few hours with my son's girlfriend would be more preferable."

"I would love to spend time with you, but I'm actually buying ice cream for my roommate," Liz answered apologetically. "She's feeling down and I wish to cheer her up."

Myra smiled. "That's sweet of you. Do you mind if I join you and your friend? Perhaps I can help your friend?"

Liz laughed in a forced manner. "Of course, if you don't mind." Now that Myra had said it like that, it would be rude to decline her.

"I won't mind at all! Do wait for a moment for me to pick up some fruits. Do you like watermelon?"

Liz was confused by the question but she still answered honestly. "Yes."

"Excellent." Without explaining, Myra hurried to the fruit section, leaving Liz in confusion.

After Liz had paid for her stuff, Myra finished picking the fruit and proceeds to pay for them. Accepting Liz's offer to carry one of the bags, they make their way back to Liz's apartment, which fortunately was just five minutes' walk.

"Please come in," Liz invited as she unlocked the door to her apartment.

Hearing the sound of the door unlocking, Cynthia rushed to the door. "Liz! You are back! Please tell me you did buy the chocolate flavor?" When she saw there was a stranger beside Liz, she went still, her eyes filled with questions.

"Hello, I'm Myra, Liz's soon to be mother-in-law," Myra said and held out her hand to Cynthia, ignoring Liz's spluttering beside her.

Cynthia's eyes widen when she heard that and gave Liz a surprised look before reaching out a hand to exchange a handshake with Myra. "Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Cynthia, Liz's roommate!"

"Please have a seat. I will prepare the drinks. What would you like to drink, Myra?" Liz asked.

"I will have whatever you have. I'm not picky." Myra laughed charmingly.

"I usually have water. Is that okay with you?" Liz asked. Usually, she would have coffee, but since she was pregnant, she will have to pretend to be enemies with coffee.

"That's good."

Cynthia waved Myra over to their small living room. "Sorry about the mess."

"Mess? It's hardly messy at all!" Myra laughed. "I still remember when I'm at your age I have more mess than this!"

"I have Liz to thank for this mostly tidy apartment. Do you have a roommate too before you have gotten married?" Cynthia asked.

"I don't and that's why my little home is filled with mess. My mother always scolds me whenever she visits me back then." Myra was not at all shy and reserved to expose her own black material.

Liz carried a tray with three cups of water and a pint of chocolate ice cream for Cynthia. She was glad that Myra was friendly and getting along well with Cynthia.

"Here's your cup, Myra," Liz passed a cup and Myra took it gratefully.

"I'm getting thirsty, thank you. Oh yes, I nearly forgot my small house visiting gift!" Myra rummaged through her grocery bag and took out a watermelon. "A small gift, I hope you will not mind it."

"You don't have to!" Cynthia took the watermelon from Myra. "How about this? I will cut this watermelon for us to eat."

Myra laughed. "No need for the hassle. This is for Liz and you to eat."

"We would not be able to finish the watermelon," Liz cut in. "Please help us finish it. Would Adam get worried if you do not return early?"

Myra waved her concern away. "I've texted him that I'm with you and don't expect me to return early."

"That's great! I will cut open the watermelon then!" Cynthia hurried into the small kitchen without Myra's reply.

Myra was pleased that these two ladies were friendly and nice. This time, her son had picked a good woman for himself.

Liz wanted to hold it in for a bit longer, but her bladder could not do it. Since her pregnancy started, she found that the number of times she needs to use the loo increased. Fear that she would leak out, she anxiously said, "Myra, I'm sorry but I need to go to the washroom."

"No problem." Myra laughed teasingly. "You do not need to hold your bladder in just because of me. I will feel bad that I've scared you this much!"

Liz blushed. "You are not scary at all! You misunderstand!"

"Oh, do go on. I can see how uncomfortable you are to hold it in!"

"I will be back in a minute!"

Myra laughed at the fleeing Liz. "No need to rush!"

As Myra was not sure how long Liz would take, she decided to go and help Cynthia out with the watermelon, and use that opportunity to help the poor girl on what had caused her to be depressed.

She accidentally stepped onto a book under the coffee table when she stood up. The living room's space was not big enough so the furniture was rather in close distance, leaving onto a small path for people to walk around.

Myra bends down to push the book back under the coffee table, but the word 'pregnancy' caught her eyes. She pulled the book out and discovered that this book was indeed for soon to be mothers, and there were few more similar books under the coffee table.

A moment later, she put back the books under the table and walked into the kitchen with a small smile. "Let me help you with that."

"I'm almost finishing with this." Cynthia raised an eyebrow. "Where is Liz? Did she leave you alone?"

Myra laughed. "She's in the washroom."

"Oh, must be her bladder again!" Cynthia speeds up her chopping and placed them on a large plate in a neat line.

"Are you pregnant, Cynthia?" Myra asked bluntly.

"No way!" Cynthia immediately denied. "Why would you think so?"

"Liz had told me about you being depressed and I wondered if it's because of an unplanned pregnancy," Myra said worriedly.

"If I'm pregnant, I would be happy about it!" Cynthia sighed. "That would certainly be better than having my boyfriend cheating on me."

Myra's heart skipped a beat as she realized who the pregnant one was. But her smile showed none of her thoughts and gave Cynthia a few words of comfort. "He had stayed with you for nine years. Feelings are not that easy to change."