CHAPTER 12

A gem has life in them. It speaks what words fail to unveil. For their luster tells all the emotions the creator was trying to convey.

“So, what did you took from her?”, Leo asked Aurora while bringing some things.

“How inappropriate, Leo! Are you accusing me of thievery? Surely, you jest!”, Aurora smiled while looking at the necklace she got from Elin.

“Isn’t that the Necklace of Avarice? Don’t tell me it came from her?”, Leo was stunned by what he saw.

“You got that right! This is indeed THAT necklace”, Aurora agreed as she placed the necklace in a box sealed with magic.

“That can’t be! That necklace was made by our finest magician. It was made to absorb the overflowing mana of a person. That necklace was basically used for those people with unstable dangerous mana.  But because it absorbs too much, it can store a large pool of mana than can support even a nation's barrier for a few years. It can even be used to make a weapon of mass destruction. That's why it was sealed away by the creator. No one knows where it is but to think that she had it all along”, Leo remarked.

"You see here, Leo. Such necklace is quite complex. Inside of the pendant, a magic circle was casted to verify its owner. Therefore, it was not made so that anyone can use it", She stared at the box contemplating about the jewelry.

"Furthermore, our little friend here has absorbed more than it can handle. How scary! It seems there's more to this than meets the eye", Aurora caressed the magic box while smiling.

"Are you implying that it was given to her and not stolen? Then, who would have the power and authority to take ahold of such a necklace? It's part of our national treasure", Leo seemed to have more questions than answer.

He stared at the door, where Elin just walked out, pondering about the fact that an Easton possessed a rare necklace made from their country.

“So, what are you going to do this time, Leo?”, Aurora stared at the things Leo picked from the shelves.

“I’m tracking an illegal trade from Caris to Fraus. This time, it’s a different trade. Their route even change. I need to know where it’s heading”, Leo said with a serious tone.

He has been investigating the trade that was happening for the past few months. The trades was mostly composed of jewelries. Merchants would sell the jewels to the lower nobles for a higher price. As for the rare ones, it was auctioned at the black market. But this time, the dealings changed to weapons.

“Eventhough we have apprehended the mastermind behind the dealings, people still find some ways to continue what they have started”, Leo sighed as he thought of work that kept piling up one after another.

“Why don’t you just arrest the source like you used to?”, Aurora suggested to him as Leo seemed more worried than before.

“I still need to know who made such deal. Besides, there seems to be a new owner of this illegal trades. He's harder to track down than those people I caught before. What's more, the weapons they order are abundant. What are they going to do with the weapons? If a noble bought it to supply their soldiers, why illegally though?”, Leo started to pack the things he chose. He handed a book to Aurora for a fair trade.

“I’m sure it’s gonna be fine, Leo. Now, off you go. I’ve been dying to read this book for a long time. Say “Hi” to her for me again, will you? ”, Aurora shooed Leo away after receiving the book that she requested.

“Why would I do that? It’s not like we’re going to meet again”, Leo raised his eyebrow perplexed by what Aurora said.

“I think that you will surely meet her again. There is no such thing as coincidence. Everything happens for a reason, Leo”, Aurora just smiled at him. 

***

Elin laid down the map as soon as she arrived at the cottage. She scribbled some markings and wrote down some notes.

“Nero, let’s go to this area where the wagon will pass. We have to take note all the possible routes they will use for us to easily intercept them”, Elin pointed at the area within the forest of Rever in the map.

“This is where we will begin our operation. I need you to scout the area of any monsters nearby and how many people are watching the wagon. We have to avoid encountering the beasts while we try to ambush them”, Elin suggested as she tried to bring a small bag and placed some healing potions she got from Aurora. 

“Alright”, Nero agreed with Elin. He closed his eyes and started searching for the shadows within the area where Elin previously marked.

“I found them, one coachman and five people guarding. Two at the sides and three at the back. Judging by the weapons they are carrying, one is a scout, one seemed to be a mage and three melee types. They seem to be mercenaries and I think they’re stronger than they look”, Nero notified Elin of what he saw.

“Now, I need you to transport us a few meters away from them so that they will not be aware of our presence. If they’re stronger than they look as what you’ve said, then we just need to bring them down by using something stronger than them”, Elin smiled slyly as she looked at Nero

Her eyes glinted with a hint of wildness as she laid out her plan with Nero to seize the opportunity that was presented.