7. An Audience with Nic Snodingworth

Jeni left Mr. Schwartz’ office feeling confused. Why had Daniel told on her? Could it be because of their incident in the hallway a couple days before? Could he just be a narc all around and not keep his promises—even to those who trusted him? These questions reeled around her mind all weekend. She didn’t even use her laptop (having all the effort she put into stealing it away be useless).

When she entered the school building on Monday morning, she was stopped by Mr. Schwartz.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“To my locker, sir,” she replied. “You know, because I have classes…”

“You will do nothing of the sort!” Mr. Schwartz cried. “Mrs. Baker!”

Mrs. Baker hurried from around a corner and stood ready for Schwartz’s orders.

“Take Ms. Hestersee to permanent detention.” Mrs. Baker nodded. Mr. Schwartz leaned down and whispered in Jeni’s ear. “It’s not really permanent, we just say that to instill fear into the student body.”

Jeni smiled, but Mrs. Baker’s stern visage wiped it right off. It just so happened to be that the detention hall was on the other side of the school building, so Jeni would have to endure more public shame. The underaged children laughed and mocked her. “Look! A witch!” one child cried.

“I’m not a witch!” Jeni retorted.

“Indeed!” Mrs. Baker cut in. “She’s much worse! A PLAGIARIst nonetheless!”

Many children gasped, although the reveal of Jeni’s sin was getting quite old.

Among the crowd, Daniel and Nic wandered. Daniel was unwilling to meet Jeni’s  gaze, although she stared at him for a few seconds. The two’s previous meeting was made more awkward by Nic’s comments.

“It’s a shame, isn’t it?” Nic said. “To think, I was just dating her. I could’ve been involved in this public shame. Isn’t that crazy?”

Daniel shrugged. He didn’t want to talk about Jeni, but the weight of his secret was crushing him, killing him. He had to get the truth out to someone.

“Can I tell you something?” he whispered to Nic.

Nic looked into his eyes. “You can tell me anything.”

“Well, not here,” Daniel said. “Somewhere more private.”

He led Nic to an abandoned dark hallway (because all schools have them, you just have to look). “I have a horrible secret,” he said, barely audible.

Nic laughed. “We all have horrible secrets! It can’t be that bad! Try me.”

“I’m the one who got Jeni in trouble.”

Nic was silent for a moment, waiting for the information to sink in. His face slowly twisted into rage. “You did what?”

“I’m the one who told Schwartz about Jeni’s PLAGIARIzing.” he said. “I know I shouldn’t have told. I even promised her! Oh god! My parents are going to be so ashamed if they figure out I had a part in such a heinous crime!”

Nic smacked him. “What’s your problem? That’s my girlfriend!”

“Ex-girlfriend,” Daniel reminded. “You haven’t found a new one yet.”

“Still!” Nic yelled. “That’s an awful thing to do to someone! Especially since your best friend dated her. Emphasis on BEST FRIEND.”

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say you still have feelings for her,” Daniel remarked quietly, for he was afraid of another strike.

Nic surged up against him, ready to hit again, but fell back and sighed. “Maybe you’re right,” he said. “Maybe I do still have feelings for her. But you can’t tell her that.”

“I won’t.” Daniel drew an “x” over his heart with his finger.

Nic, realizing the error of his sudden request, replied, “How can I trust you? If you would go and rat Jeni out so earnestly, how I can trust you to keep my secret?”

Daniel didn’t answer. He couldn’t keep Nic’s secret. His morals and principles would be compromised if he did. He looked to his feet. “I can’t.”

Nic scoffed and stalked away to the detention hall where Jeni was being housed. Mrs. Baker, acting as a sentry, stood in front of the door. Nic needed to devise a plan to get inside. He wrapped his brain for a solution to his problem. All at once, an idea smacked him in the face.

“Can I go in?” he asked.

“For what?” Mrs. Baker asked.

“To see Jeni Hestersee. I hear she’s failing a class.”

“That is classified information.”

“I realize this, but don’t you want even our most sinful to conform to our uptight society? If you let me in, I can attempt to tutor her and bring her back to the public’s good graces.”

“Nicholas Snodingworth,” Mrs. Baker said, “because you are an upstanding student here, I will let you see Ms. Hestersee.”

Nic nodded in compliance and was about to go through the four foot iron door when he saw a small plastic foot peeking out from a trash can. He walked over and pulled at the appendage. When it didn’t give way, he fell to the floor from exhaustion (the plastic infant was quite durable). He pulled again, and fell again. A small child passing by gave a small yank and got the baby out with one tug. The mound of plastic was handed to Nic and he entered the detention hall.

As soon as he entered the room, Nic began to regret his decision to tutor Jeni. He wasn’t sure if he would be able to keep his feelings a secret, especially if he was going to “tutor” her. She hadn’t noticed his presence yet, though. Perhaps he could sneak out and take some time to think about what it was he wanted to say to this girl, whom he loved so much. Just as he was turning to leave, something terrible happened.

“Mawm? Why did yo throw me in da trash can?” growled a deep voice.

Nic jumped and dropped theroboticbaby. Jeni turned suddenly, noticing Nic for the first time. He was blushing and awkwardly trying to sneak out of the room when she turned.

“What are you doing here, Nic?”

Picking up the child and spewing out a clever lie he said, “Oh… Um… You know… I’m inspecting this iron door. We don’t have many at Louisville and I need to make sure that the few we do have are in tip top shape.”

“Really?”

“No… I, Nicholas Snodingworth came here to ask you, Jeni Hestersee… If you would like me to be your…” he took a gulp, “… tutor.”

“You want to be my tutor?”

“Um… yes?”

There was an awkward pause as they both stared at each other, taking in the situation. Jeni began to smile and so did Nic. It was agreed that he would be her tutor for the time being, but both of them knew the real reason for the agreement. Jeni and Nic still had feelings for each other and they would have done anything to spend more time together. At this point, the baby that Nic carried in with him has not really been mentioned.

As they stood there, smiling at one another, the room was filled with a love so powerful that even Mr. Schwartz (in his office across the school) could feel it. If asked about the strange sensation he felt that morning, Mr. Schwartz would liken the feeling to being struck bylightning - his hair stood on end… oh… wait… no it didn’t. (Awkward.) Let’s get back to Jeni and Nic.

They stared deeply into each other’s eyes - hoping the other felt the same way. It was really quite a magical moment, until… the baby’s head spun in a 180 degree circle, she bit Nic’s forearm, and spoke.

“MAWM!” the demon child shouted. “Mawm, yo can’t go around behind ma dad’s back with dis guy!”

“What?” Nic shouted.

“I… I… I don’t know what she’s talking about,” Jeni looked panicked.

“What dad?”

At this moment the child uttered a single word, a single, life ruining word… “Daniel.”