9. Wolcottingham's Ruling

Nic stormed around the corner, and basically ran right into Cade Wolcottingham, the most distinguished student in all the school. He had extremely light blond hair and, when cut, bled mercilessly. However, he still maintained a frightening, yet benign reputation for being everyone’s frenemy.

“Watch where you’re going, Snodingworth!” he exclaimed. “You could’ve hurt me!”

Nic didn’t hear him. He continued around the corner, tears starting to stream down his face. Cade looked back at the boy and shook his head. Children, especially males, nowadays were becoming much too soft. They would start off talking about their feelings and eventually break down and cry. In Cade’s previous-life’s day, children were seen and not heard, and even slapped when showing emotion.

Oh yes, Cade thought. Good old 1999.

Cade broke his train of thought and went around the corner, only to see Jeni and Daniel in a passionate embrace. He coughed, gaining the attention of both parties. Jeni looked embarrassed, and Daniel began to scuttle away.

“Hold it, Mr. Stohlmannesdale,” Cade remarked. “Please stay right here.”

Daniel obeyed.

“I think it would be interesting if Mr. Bausch knew about this little delve into hormonally challenged secrecy.” Cade said smugly. Everyone knew that Cade was apprenticing under Mr. Bausch in an attempt to gain control of the politics of the school. However, Cade didn’t know that Mr. Bausch hadn’t won the position of Superintendent back in 1978. Cade continued on with his apprenticeship, blinded with false grandeur.

“Please don’t say anything!” Daniel pleaded. “I’ve already lost my position as football captain! I can’t lose my reputation, too!”

Jeni said nothing. Cade approached her.

“And you, Ms. Hestersee, your reputation has already been ruined. Were you seeking to gain it back by making out with the most popular boy in school?”

Jeni began to protest, but Cade cut her off.

“It’s been brought to my attention that you have a child in your possession now.”

“Yes,” Jeni replied quietly.

“And I believe you aren’t a qualified parent.”

“What?”

“You aren’t fit to take care of that child.”

“If you believe I’m unfit due to the repercussions of my actions, please let me explain…”

Cade ignored her comment. “How are you to take care of a child when you can’t even take care of yourself?” he asked.

Jeni, puzzled, looked at him. Cade gestured to her shoe.

“My shoe?” Jeni asked. “The lace is just undone.”

“Exactly!” Cade shrieked. “How are you to create a safe environment for your child if, A) you can’t even tie your shoe and B) you fall on her all the time due to the untied laces?”

“She’s a robot. She’ll live.”

Cade, shocked at this revelation of hopeless parenting, walked passed the two. He called over his shoulder: “I wouldn’t be surprised if she were taken away from you!”

Jeni looked to Daniel, who was looking down at the tile.

“Did you hear that?” Jeni asked.

“I sure did. What does it mean?”

Jeni, not willing to dignify that answer with a response, quickly changed the subject.

“We have to prove to Wolcottingham I’m a fit mother! For if we don’t, then little Juliearl can be taken away! What can we do?”