twenty four

Reader POV

"Okay a kiss on the cheek is friendly but based on those stories I read a kiss on the neck is just next level....." I say thinking to myself.

"What're you thinking about?" Atsumu says snapping me out of my thoughts.

"The kiss on the neck. I said I didn't mind it but it was unlike you."

"Well it was because I like you!" Atsumu says.

I contemplate that for a bit. He said it so calmly and casually, of course a confession from him would be like that.

"Just kidding." Atsumu says with a snort.

"Stop that, Atsumu." I say looking down as I walk.

It was silent for a bit after that.

"What would you do.... let's say if I actually did like you?"  He says after a while of silence.

"I already know you like me anyways." I snort.

Atsumu's head snapped around to look at me. And I swear his ears were a bit red.

"Just kidding!" I say while laughing.

"It's not so fun once it's on you now is it?" I say with a teasing tone.

Atsumu does not answer as he averts his eyes downwards. For a minute there I thought maybe he wouldn't laugh but just as I was about to apologize he snorts.

"You get me there.... hell I wouldn't even know how to properly tell a girl I like her anyways. I've never had to anyways, they just come to me."

"They just come to you?....." I ask questionably.

"All my old "girlfriends."

"You know you're not suppose to talk about your ex girlfriends when you're on a date with someone." I say while giggling. I'm not mad at this, it's a bit cute how oblivious he is to these things.

"Sorry, it's a force of habit." 

"Hey Atsumu.... what do you want your career to be?"

"A professional volleyball player."

"Of course."

"You?"

"I'm not quite sure... I've never thought about it."

"Well you still have some time left."

"I think I want to travel the world, maybe France. Well not just travel there, maybe I'd go to college there. I'm not sure."

"Well then we'd never see each other again." Atsumu says

"That's the sad part about high school. Most of the people we know in high school, we may never see them again. It's like once you're in the real world none of this matters anymore. You meet new people."

"I'm sure we'd always be together." He says laughing.

"Maybe...."

Atsumu POV

Maybe, huh?

Just an idiotic teenager hoping she'd say yes. Hoping she'd say yes to being with me forever, Romance or not. What a joke. She's right about that though. Most of the people in high school you won't talk to five years from now. I'll be off playing as a professional volleyball player and y/n may be thousands of miles away once we graduate. Maybe this is all just a stupid high school romance that's meant to not go anywhere because nothing ever lasts especially in high school. Oh who am I kidding? It's not even a high school romance, barely that is.

I turn to look at y/n. She's smiling to herself, humming a bit. I don't want her to leave me once we graduate, I know it's just teenagers saying stupid stuff but I can't help myself. I want her to be with me. Maybe I'll just ask her right now to always be with me...

"Hey y/n." I say stopping in my tracks.

"Yeah?" Y/N turns around confused and she looks at me with that dense look she always has. That look always annoyed me even when I first met her, she's smart and we both know it. Why is she always making that stupid face?...

I feel my nose scrunch up as I observe her face. Her face quickly turns into confusion.

"No." I spat.

"No?...."

That face of hers.... I remember calling her average when I met her but she's not but she's doesn't know that. I'd wish she didn't have to look at me like that though.

"Why can't you just tell me that you know the truth? I know you're smarter than you put yourself out to be. Why're you doing this?" I spat out.

Y/N stares at me expressionless. Shes always been so expressive but once I call her out she turns emotionless. We're more similar than she thinks but I won't tell her that, to humor her.

"I kissed your neck. You're smart. Don't tell me you're just doing this for laughs and giggles. You've dismissed my.... declarations and stuff." I say laughing.  Wow and just a minute ago on our date, I said I would wait a bit until actually showing how I feel. I'm going against my own word.

"You're kind of breaking my heart here. Dismissing my declarations. I can sort of feel my heart break into pieces." I crack a joke smiling at the ground. I smile sadly thinking about what I had just said. Honestly it's not far from the truth but....

I look up to see y/n have a face of horror, like she knows that my "joke" is the truth.

The team would be laughing at me if they knew how confused I was. But... I don't know. When you look at me like you sort of..... put the pieces back together again? Is that how it is? That's the best of how I can explain it. Breaking my heart but in the end it putting it back together then just repeat. I'm not acting like myself and I hate it.

"Just kidding...." I say laughing it off. I didn't mean to make her feel bad. I don't like messing with her as much as I did when we first met. I know when I do, it just causes her to take me less seriously.

"I've been feeling not so great lately...." I say laughing trying to ease the situation like I always do.

Y/N remains silent which causes me to worry just a bit.

"I have been avoiding everything haven't I...." y/n smiles to herself.

"Thank you, Atsumu."

"For what?"

Y/N doesn't answer my question as she looks at me and smiles happily.

When she looks at me like that....

This really cannot be good for a persons heart.

I should warn 'Samu about this just in case he ever feels the same way I do about a girl.

A/N: I feel like I'm putting Atsumu through too much. So much angst....