Future AU - Nightmares

Sophie rolled around in her bed, accidentally slapping Keefe in the face as she thrashed from her nightmare.

Keefe immediately woke up, clutching his cheek. His eyes shot open and he sat up, touching Sophie's shoulder and sending a cool blue breeze through her. "Foster, calm down."

Sophie inhaled sharply. She fluttered her eyes open and looked groggily at Keefe. "Hey. Why are you awake?" she asked.

Keefe raised an eyebrow, "Have you been having nightmares? You just slapped me in the face."

She sighed, flushing pink, "Yeah, I have...lots of them...I haven't slept straight since we got married."

"Wait, our wedding was awful?" Keefe thought, wondering if her nightmare related to their wedding.

"No...but you did fling cake at your father."

"It looked good on him."

"Keefe, I can sleep. Thanks for checking on me." She rolled onto her other side.

But he could have sworn he heard a sniffle as she pulled the blanket over herself. Keefe sighed internally and draped an arm over his wife. "Hey, you good?"

Sophie's breaths quickened, and she rolled back to Keefe, tears in her brown eyes. "I'm not," she admitted, pulling at an eyelash.

Keefe lifted her hand away and kissed it, cuddling her closer. "If you need anything, you can tell me. But don't slap me next time."

Sophie grinned, "I might kick you."

"Hey hey hey! Keep the violence for the enemies! Not me!" He nestled his head in the crook of her neck. "Sleep well, Foster."

Only an hour later she started crying in her sleep. Keefe hugged her tighter, whispering soothing things in her ear, until she stopped crying and whimpered, waking up.

"Keefe, I—I can't sleep."

He sat up, hugging her close. He tilted his head back, staring at the ceiling. "Foster...deep breaths...none of it is real..." A moment of silence passed.

"I'm scared it will become real," she whispered.

Keefe slowly looked down at her, "Do you mind telling me what they're about?"

She tensed, not looking him in the eye. "They...they hurt even talking about it."

Keefe nodded, understanding. "The pain is going to go away soon," he whispered. "Remember that dreams are dreams...and are never the real thing...unless it is. But in any case, all of it is in the past and no one is hurt right now." He rocked back and forth. "Remember that I'm always here, that you have a loving family, that you have friends who love you."

Sophie relaxed in his arms, eyes drooping, a smile on her face.

Keefe kept his pace slow and steady, feeling her emotions calm down, feeling her relax. "No one is here to hurt us anymore. We're all here, safe, with nothing going to happen. We're all here for you..."

Sophie closed her eyes, her hand on Keefe's arm, as her soft, adorable snores filled the room.

Keefe didn't let go, brushing his lips on her cheek. "Sleep well, Foster."